University of Rochester Drupal Developer in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Simon Grad Sch Operations
Simon Business School is seeking a Drupal Developer responsible for front-end development and theming. This position requires a combination of programming skills (HTML/CSS, JS, JQuery, Python, PHP, DRUSH, etc.) and aesthetics (understanding element arrangements on the screen, the color and font choices, and so on). The best candidates have a strong understanding of industry trends and content management systems. Experience with responsive and adaptive design is strongly preferred. In addition, an understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment, with some back-end knowledge, is preferred.
Responsible for helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into a working theme. Work closely with back-end developers and customers to ensure an effective, visually appealing, and intuitive implementation.
- Participate in strategy discussions related to design and implementation.
- Contribute to the analysis and design process by identifying customers’ needs and translating those needs into rules that will be enforced by the software application.
- Develop Drupal components, documenting all code/parts completely and clearly.
- Maintain code base using code repository service(s) (Git and BitBucket)
- After an application has been built, provide support the end-users. Receive feedback from end users about bugs and/or new features. Develop code/web-parts necessary to fix problems with the application and create new components required to add new functionality.
- Communicate with team members through the Agile process to prioritize, estimate, and triage tasks
- Assist with system upgrades and other support activities as needed.
- Provide support to back-end and webmaster roles.
- Monitor ticketing system queues (Jira) for support requests.
- Maintain mastery of current versions and updates of existing software; keep abreast of new developments in Content Management Systems (CMS) and software; maintain in-depth knowledge of programs in assigned areas of expertise.
- Maintain current awareness of the University’s web systems, key players, and endeavors related to the web strategy. Watch for opportunities to collaborate on systems, tools, technology.
- Continue to extend skill in job area through reading, seminars, courses, conferences, and participation in online bulletin boards and discussion lists.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings.
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline such as Computer Science or Information Technology, plus 2-3 years related experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience also considered.
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Fluent with HTML5/XHTML and CSS3
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites
- Experience with Foundation and/or Bootstrap frameworks.
- Experience with TWIG or other template engine.
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Ability to understand CSS changes to have consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Experience integrating open source and third-party applications into existing systems
- Ability to complete and share detailed documentation.
*Desirable Qualifications: *
- Experience with back-end/module development
- Experience building responsive websites using Drupal CMS
- Experience with the installation, configuration, rules, and structure of Drupal 8
- Ability to architect enterprise Drupal solutions including data, display, and information architecture
- Site-building experience including familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels.
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Experience with theme functions, and knowledge of the Drupal theme layer
- An understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs.
- Familiarity with Linux and Windows Server environment.
- Familiarity with Apache & MySQL.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- Possess superior attention to detail, meet inflexible deadlines, remain calm during difficult situations, work under pressure, and work with frequent interruptions.
- Respect deadlines as mission-critical.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions.
- Be eager to embrace current and emerging web technologies.
- Work well in both a team and an individual environment, sharing knowledge and ideas that help to promote individual, team, and organization growth.
- Be dependable, flexible, and efficient.
- Have keen insight and ability to prioritize workload and multi-task.
- Embrace continuous learning as essential to personal and organizational success.
- Manage time and multiple projects in a complex environment with a positive and creative attitude.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Drupal Developer
Location: Simon Grad School Business
Job ID: 208996
Full/Part Time: Full-Time