University of Rochester Dental Assistant (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 026 EDC Highland Dental
8 AM-5 PM
Assists and anticipates the needs of Dentists with the provision of patient care and chairside assisting. Assists in the coordination and operation of the Clinic.
- Escorting patient from check-in and being escorted to and from operatory.
- Provides assistance for Dentists.Utilizes "four handed technique": working as a team with the Dentist, passes and receives instruments; retracts the patient's cheek or tongue, operates oral vacuum evacuating equipment and applies water and air to the field of operation.
- Maintains sterile environment.Anticipates armamentarium, specific equipment, material and supply needs for patient and provider.Initiates operatory preparation.
- Takes intra-oral, extra-oral, panorex radiographs.Anticipates diagnostic needs.
- Participates in the training of Dental Assistant students and orientation of Dental Assistants.Assists administrative staff in the orientation and evaluation of the General Practice Residents by providing feedback regarding their performance to the Medical Staff.
- Anticipates day to day activities, coordinating provider schedules to maintain a satisfactory level of responsiveness to patient needs.Considers and prepares for the complexity of each visit and/or procedure and the time frame required so that the patient schedule may be maintained or modified as needed. Review patient’s chart pre-procedure; assist in selection and set-up of appropriate instruments, equipment, and infection control technique for plan noted in dental record.
- Maintains inventory of clinic equipment and instruments, orders supplies, initiates requests for replacement and repairs.
- Maximizes room utilization through inventory, stocking, cleaning of operatory and daily preparation of dental units, cleans and sterilizes instruments after each case for use in the next procedure.
Administrative and Clerical Support
- Assist in orientation of new dental assistants and other staff
- Maintain inventory control and ordering of instruments, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Monitor, review, assess and document each operatory and room for compliance with standards.
- Arrange and coordinate equipment maintenance and repairs. Provide staff with monthly equipment cleaning/maintenance schedule, and maintain and monitor clinic logs.
- Assist others so that resources, assistance or support are provided to achieve success in their daily work.
- Check and document instruments, storage cabinets, operatory drawers, materials and supplies for expiration.
- Spore test autoclaves and log results.
- Ensure and supervise proper maintenance of equipment and supplies
- Utilize Standard Precautions in Infection Control.
Graduate of a Dental Assistant Program accredited by The Commission on Accreditation of Dental and Dental Auxiliary Education Program or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer 1 year experience as Dental Assistant or Operating Room experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Dental Assistant (S)
Location: Eastman Dental Center
Job ID: 208199
Full/Part Time: Full-Time