University of Rochester Clinical Nutrition Spec, SMH in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Food & Nutrition Svcs-Staff
Provides comprehensive nutrition care and education for Pediatric Advanced Nutrition Support (PANS)/GI/Nutrition Clinic patients and support to the Pediatric GI health care team.
- Assess nutritional status of appropriately referred patients on home parenteral/enteral nutrition. Provide ongoing nutritional assessment, monitoring, evaluation, and education to patients and families.
- Effectively communicate plans and rationale to GI team members both verbally and in the medical record.
- Possess the technological knowledge to utilize nutrient analysis software programs to analyze food records to identify nutrition problems and modify recommendations accordingly.
- Coordinate home nutrition regimens for patients. Write letters of Medical Necessity for insurance approval of nutritional regimens and obtain prior authorization from insurance companies when required. Communicate with home care vendors and providers, address insurance issues, as needed. This may include complex nutritional therapies involving PO, enteral and/or parenteral components.
- Integrate evidence-based research in the education, practice and management of PANS/Pediatric GI/Nutrition patients.
- Provide information and consultation to GI physicians, Fellows, NPs and Inpatient Staff promoting continuity of care for known patients upon admission and safe, timely discharge on home enteral and parenteral nutrition for new and existing patients.
- Attend weekly Pediatric Nutrition Support Rounds.
- Remain up to date on new and revised formulas and supplements, communicate with vendors and educate health care providers about pertinent changes.
- Serve as preceptor to the Cornell Dietetic Interns.
- Supervise Pediatric GI fellows during their nutrition support rotation, as requested.
- Analyze data and participate in QA activities to identify opportunities for improved practice.
- Participation is encouraged, though not required.
- Participate in nutrition related research independently or in coordination with other services/providers.
- Prepare and submit materials for publication.
B.S. degree in Nutrition, Food & Nutrition or equivalent and 2 years clinical nutrition experience in health care setting; registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration, the credentialing agency of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Masters’ degree in related field preferred. Pediatric experience preferred.Expectation to obtain advanced certification within 18 months of employment, with maintenance of credential thereafter. Must have reliable transportation to and from off-site location (Clinton Crossings) and Golisano Children’s Hospital.
Demonstrate strong communication skills, the ability to work independently and effectively in a busy, multi-disciplinary medical practice setting, proficiency with insurance authorization processes, able to prioritize workload and multi-task with accuracy and efficiency.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Clinical Nutrition Spec, SMH
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 212669
Full/Part Time: Full-Time