University of Rochester Category Mgr, Procurement in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Purchasing
8 AM-5 PM
The Category Manager is responsible for managing a contracts portfolio; negotiate multi-million dollar contracts (New & Renewals) on behalf of the organization. The individual will also be responsible for the implementation of an enterprise wide strategic plan for the purchase of goods and services. He or she will also develop business plans and relationships with internal customers and suppliers to act in the best interest of the organization. In collaboration with the Team's Senior Category Manager, the individual will evaluate and analyze all spend categories under their management to identify and report savings risks and opportunities. The Category Manager will then work with their Senior Category Manager to develop strategies and lead efforts to mitigate these risk and increase savings.
The Category Manager will be responsible for executing the department's strategic business plan to meet all savings objectives, as well as develop action plans, timelines, and communications as appropriate. These strategies will be developed in cooperation with departments throughout the University, Medical Center and Affiliates as appropriate. The position will be responsible for building internal and external collaborative relationships to maximize objectives.
The Category Manager must be able to manage diverse groups of people, including administrators, physicians, professors, etc., leads bid processes, negotiation processes, creates and administers contracts for assigned commodity team in accordance with University policies and Federal procurement regulations. Evaluates departmental requests, researches marketplace, conducts competitive bidding, qualifies suppliers, analyzes results and negotiates the business transaction (price, delivery, contract terms and conditions) for the long term. Performs financial value and/or lease versus buy analysis as required. Commits University authorized funds and monitors supplier performance. Negotiates contractual terms and conditions and work with Supervision, Legal and Risk Management as required to insure the risk to the University of Rochester is minimized.
Under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment:
- Authorizes contracts and purchase orders for regular, standing orders and leases.
- Researches products and prices; identifies qualified suppliers; obtains technical and/or performance specifications; performs financial and value analysis;
- negotiates contracts; monitors supplier performance.
- Organizes and leads sourcing teams for their respective commodities.
- Focuses on process improvement opportunities with a goal of reducing waste and inefficient processes.
- Leverages technology to improve business processes and decision making.
- Assures proper authorization, account numbers, price, supplier qualification and contract terms.
- Constructs and implements Strategic Sourcing projects in accordance with University policies and Federal procurement regulations, covering all University and Medical Center locations across multiple sites.
- Works with value analysis, contracts manager and departments to identify cost savings opportunities.
- Leads negotiation activity for multiple categories across the enterprise.
- Establishes and maintains both customer and supplier partnerships to identify opportunities for cost and process improvements.
- Maintains a category wide view of procurement to maximize value for the customer.
- Strategizes with their Senior Category Manager to establish UR Procurement policies and support Procurement direction for University customers.
- Develops a strong collaborative relationship with all Department Administrator leadership proactively planning for future purchases.
- Analyzes current business processes, while identifying and offering continuous improvement opportunities for existing processes.
- Keeps abreast of and evaluates regulatory/supplier changes and industry/application trends to support future planning.
- Markets the department's services to the University community and drive change management initiatives.
- Builds and maintains sound collaborative relationships with University users and suppliers.
- Conducts accurate & timely reporting of savings against goals.
- Promotes local, small and diverse business relationships and complies with University goals and Federal Requirements.
- Serves on University and community committees and participates in professional associations as appropriate; may represent the University in user groups, trade fairs, buying consortia.
- Stays current on new purchasing methods, sources of supply and products.
Bachelor's degree, preferably in Business Administration or a technical field; and 5 years of direct purchasing experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. C.P.M. a plus.
Job Title: Category Mgr, Procurement
Location: Central Administration
Job ID: 212274
Full/Part Time: Full-Time