University of Rochester Cardiac Sonographer in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 CVSL Outpatient ACG & CC
8 AM-4:30 PM
Under direction of a qualified physician, the cardiac sonographer will perform a variety of technical procedures in the application of high frequency ultrasound waves to patients for diagnostic purposes. Exercises a high degree of precision, skill and judgment. Has a sound knowledge of cardiology, Doppler physics/instrumentation, echocardiography and vascular ultrasound.
- Perform and or assist with routine and specialized echocardiographic studies, including transesophageal, stress echocardiographic techniques (tread anddobutamine infusion studies), contrast exams, carotid ultrasound, lower extremity venous and arterial exams (including non invasive segmental blood pressure recordings.
- Prepare patients for examinations and explain the procedures to be performed.
- Must be able to recognize cardiac and vascular anatomy and physiology.Distinguish artifact from normal and pathological states.Must recognize, complete echocardiographic vascular exams and be critical in evaluating ones work in order to provide a diagnostic study.
- Perform necessary calculation for valve areas and other cardiac measurements and understand relevance of findings.
- Responsible for obtaining pertinent diagnostic laboratory test results for physicians and to optimize the exam.Review old echocardiographic studies which may be necessary for correlation with the echo study.
- Obtain vital signs, blood pressure, heart rate, height and weight.
- Generate preliminary echo reports and relay final reports of echocardiographic studies to appropriate medical staff and physicians.
- Will take call as scheduled.
- Assist in sterile techniques.
- Will record studies on video tape or other image acquisition devices for review and permanent record storage of patient exam.
- Will maintain active registry status in adult cardiac (RDCS) and vascular sonography (RVT).
Mobiles and Lab Responsibilities
- Will perform independent echocardiograms, stress echocardiography, for the mobile service.
- Will perform appropriate vascular ultrasound (including non invasive vascular testing, carotid, arterial and venous ultrasound and arterial physiologic testing) examinations for the mobile service.
- Will serve as a positive image for the echo lab and market the lab at appropriate opportunities.
- Will function as a liaison between the Echo Lab and outside referring centers.
- Will keep vans clean and be courteous to other drivers.Will fill gas tank after each assignment.Will report any concerns or malfunction to appropriate personnel.
- Read journals to keep abreast of new developments in diagnostic cardiac ultrasound.
- Attend conventions and symposiums on a national as well as local level.Obtain necessary continuing professional education credits to keep ARDCS and RVT registration current.
- Active participation in preceptorship teaching and cardiac fellow instruction, through hands-on training or formal presentation
- Encouraged to perform research and publish papers.
- Assist in the instruction of affiliated students, in-service education of medical staff and cardiac fellows, instruct preceptees enrolled in the preceptorship program, present cases at medical rounds and special conferences.
- Responsible to keep lab in clean, working order.Active participation in the clean lab protocols, including documentation in the log.This includes cleaning transducers according to lab policy and preparing exam rooms between studies, (changing linen, cleaning exam tables, wiping down systems).
- Will perform monthly preventive maintenance on all ultrasound units and ancillary equipment. Will report all equipment malfunctions and problems to chief sonographer.
- Will order supplies and keep current all inventory.
- Will exercise independent problem solving.
- Will monitor and ensure timely patient appointments.
- Will perform administrative tasks and other duties as assigned
A 4 year college education, including related laboratory and/or technical training with certification by the registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, or other nationally recognized professional certifying body; or a 4 year college education in an appropriate science and 2 years of closely related laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer RDCS / RVT certification.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Cardiac Sonographer
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 207876
Full/Part Time: Full-Time