University of Rochester Autopsy Asst in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 092 Autopsy Pathology
The TAR Autopsy Assistant assists pathologists and pathologists-intraining (residents and student fellows) in the performance of postmortem examinations on weekends and holidays as needed.
- Obtains consent forms, charts, necessary paperwork for each patient to be autopsied. Sets up dissection area with instruments and specimen containers.
- Call Admitting at 8 :00 a.m. each morning to see if there are any cases.
- Prior to leaving the morgue, call Admitting to indicate that case is complete and check to see if there are any additional cases to take care of prior to 1 :00 p.m.
- Notifies resident, and attending by page or cell phone.
- Make certain resident notifies attending physician that the autopsy is proceeding.
- Asks resident if he/she has reviewed case history prior to starting case.
- Decal buckets for hearts, all adult cases (If not needed please discard).
- Print photo label for every case (16A-case#, date not necessary)
- Ready camera for every case.
- Put manila tag on 5 gal pail -mark outside of pail with china marker (case#)
- 25 white cassettes for every case are ready for weekend (in plastic zip bag)
- Set up back room for post -scale (small white pan), cart for rolling organs to storage rack if not already done from previous case.
- Serves as assistant during postmortem examination, including delivery of specimens for special studies.
- Cleanliness of autopsy suite. Responsible for general cleanliness of autopsy suite,
- including all tables, sinks, and counter tops. Requests special assistance with floors, etc., as needed. Clean up and disinfect morgue after prosection complete.
- Prepares and expedites cadaver for delivery to funeral director. Calls Admitting Office (X52270) to inform them that autopsy is completed.
- Institutes precautions as prescribed by autopsy procedure manual during infectious cases.
- Proficient in performing autopsies including appropriate incisions.
- Effective interpersonal skills, and maintains a friendly and courteous professional manner at all times.
- Professional discretion with all confidential patient information.
- Adherence to all University, Division, and Department Policies. Responsible for maintaining as well as being knowledgeable of and updating Autopsy Suite to CAP, New York State, OSHA, EPA and JCAHO regulation changes.
- Attendance and punctuality on weekends as arranged with resident/student fellow and attending faculty.
- Attend all mandatory hospital and departmental inservices and health updates.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Autopsy Asst
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 211239
Full/Part Time: TAR