University of Rochester Asst Supvr Technical, Lab Med in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 097 Microbiology SMH
EXACT WORK HOURS TO BE DETERMINED; WILL TRAIN ON DAY SHIFT; ROT WKENDS/HOL
Under the direction of the Microbiology Supervisors, and with latitude for the exercise of independent judgement, participates in the management of the technical, administrative, quality and personnel management functions of the laboratory section. The Assistant Supervisor primarily provides general supervision and technical support to the laboratory section. Functions as a Medical Technologist II as needed.
Beyond mastery of standard laboratory protocol and methods, demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of the theory and technical applications of clinical microbiology and demonstrates thorough understanding of the clinical relevance of laboratory tests. Keeps abreast of new developments in his/her areas of specialty and clinical microbiology in general. All work is performed according to methods and standards.
- Performs review of laboratory results and reports.Reviews data for accuracy, troubleshoots problems and discrepancies.
- Serves as a technical consultant to laboratory staff and other medical personnel regarding laboratory procedures and interpretations of technical aspects of laboratory testing.
- Oversees daily operations with accountability for the professional conduct and technical performance of personnel.Counsels and directs personnel as needed.
- Assists in assignment scheduling of personnel.
- Responsible for formulating and revising laboratory protocols.
- Helps ensure that the laboratory is in compliance with regulations, assists in preparation for inspections by CAP, NYS and EH&S; and audits.
- Responsible for the communication of patient care problems to Supervisors and Director.
- Assists with coordination of special projects and development of new procedures.
- Participates in the interview and performance review process.
- Provides supervisory coverage in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Performs the duties of a Medical Technologist II and maintains proficiency.
Master’s degree in Medical Terminology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Serology, or equivalent sub-specialty certification and 3 years of clinical laboratory experience. Bachelor’s degree in any of the above disciplines with 5 years’ experience in clinical laboratory science; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be NYS licensed technologist.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Asst Supvr Technical, Lab Med
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 207314
Full/Part Time: Full-Time