University of Rochester Application Development Team Lead in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 055 LLE Engg-Engineering
8:30 AM-5:30 PM; OCCASIONAL WEEKENDS
The Laboratory for Laser Energetics (LLE) of the University of Rochester is a unique national resource for research and education in science and technology focusing on using lasers to initiate fusion and high energy density physics. LLE is seeking an experienced Application Development Team Lead. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a team of application developers responsible for architecting, designing, developing and implementing software solutions to run the LLE Laser Facility, and providing technical leadership within the LLE IT department. They will report to the LLE IT Applications Development and Management Manager. The ideal applicant will be able to thrive in a highly collaborative workplace and actively engage in the development process. This is an excellent career opportunity for a professional with an impressive software application architectural design background, application development leadership experience and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Establish strategy and process to support the LLE IT application architecture and development functions
- Support the LLE Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC); improve Agile and DevOps methodologies
- Manage application development resources to complete projects on time, in scope and on budget
- Ensure application maintenance, installations and upgrades are timely, efficient and effective
- Evaluate the potential impact of new application in the LLE Laser Facility and operational environments
- Measure and monitor application performance, usage, availability, capacity and health
- Provide leadership for the management of data in the environment
- Interact with users to understand and document their functional and nonfunctional needs
- Encourage application developers to work with users to ensure strong user experience and interface design
- Organize on-call application support using IT Service Management (ITSM) processes and procedures
- Implement IT Security best practices in application architecture, design and implementation
- Maintain knowledge of application development and cloud computing market trends and technology
- Support LLE IT strategic application roadmap planning, capacity management, and make vs. buy decisions
- Foster a supportive work environment and maintain open, productive interactions across the organization
- Implement ITIL®-based IT Service Management processes
- B. S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Science, Physics, Math or equivalent skills work experience. Advanced degree is a plus.
- Excellent technical, analytical & communication skills.
- A minimum of 7 years of hands on Linux-based application development experience. Red Hat Linux and other certifications a plus.
- A minimum of 3 years software / application team leadership and resource management experience.
- Experience implementing real-time application machine control, and networking solutions communicating with other computing systems (Ethernet, TCP-IP, socket communication, RS-232, GPIB)
- Expertise in Linux application and storage appliance integration and data sharing with Windows workstation applications (SAMBA, SMB/CIFS)
- Experience with real-time software development languages, Agile SDLC and distributed code revision control software (GitLab, GitHub). DevOps experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in technical writing and application solutions documentation
- Strong application architecture and development skills for real-time process and machine control
- Software Agile test strategy and tools. Test automation skills is a plus
- Extensive Linux OS expertise. Red Hat Linux experience is preferred
- Windows OS experience and software development
- Project management experience. PMI certification is a plus
- Experience in implementing change management and security controls in an application framework
- Data Science and/or advanced database knowledge and experience
- Proficient using application and performance monitoring tools
- Good understanding of computer, memory and storage architecture and their impact on performance
- Knowledge and experience with applications development and infrastructure in one or more of the major cloud environments (AWS, Azure, Google, Oracle)
- Experience using ITIL® Service Management processes and ITSM tools. Certification is a plus
Candidate must be a US Citizen and be capable of qualifying for a US Security Clearance.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Application Development Team Lead
Location: Laser Lab & COI
Job ID: 211241
Full/Part Time: Full-Time