University of Rochester Admitting Clin/Strong Consult Transfer Ctr Coord in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 044 Admissions Center-SMH
Facilitates timely admission of adult patients to SMH. Using Clinical Judgment and experience, interacts collaboratively with physician/provider teams, staff from the Emergency Department, Inpatient and Ambulatory areas, Strong Consult and Transfer Center, and Bed Management to ensure timely decision-making relative to disposition and care needs of people requiring inpatient placement. Assists with the assignment of medical providers to medical service inpatient admissions. Using clinical judgment and reviewing care needs, assigns patients to appropriate unit(s). Discretionary skills, critical thinking and excellent communication are essential to act as a liaison between physicians/providers and Bed Management staff in order to facilitate the admission of acute care patients. Professional demeanor and Strong Commitment behaviors are evident in all interactions.
Facilitates timely transfer of patients from acute care hospitals to either Strong Memorial Hospital or Highland Hospital. Assures internal and external customer satisfaction. Acts as a liaison between referring physicians and accepting physicians to facilitate communication regarding the smooth transfer of acute care patients. Triages appropriately to attending physician and service as required. Uses clinical judgment to ascertain level of care discrepancies; appropriately seeks direction from internal physician if higher level of care is needed. Maintains data base of all calls (transfers or consults) and status of calls. Promotes a positive image of the University of Rochester Medical Center by providing customer-friendly service at all times.
Acute Care Patient Admission to SMH
Utilizing clinical judgment and critical thinking skills:
- Responds to bed requests for all adult acute care patients.
- Assess patient's clinical requirements and reviews available beds.
- Matches patient clinical needs to available patient unit (bed).
- Assists with the assignment of medical providers to patients on the medical service
- Works collaboratively with physicians, inpatient and Ambulatory staff, Bed Management staff to facilitate smooth, timely admission to SMH.
- Coordinates use of Patient Safety Attendants and Gero-Pysch Safety Specialists.
- Responds to incoming clinical inquires and transfer requests for acute care patients 24 hours/day
- Works collaboratively with referring physicians and institutions to facilitate smooth, timely transfers. Follows up on patient condition when there are delays in transfer due to bed availability; keeps referring facility informed on any changes in bed availability.
- Exercises clinical judgment when gathering information from referring provider and/or nursing staff. If patient's described clinical condition does not match the level of care initially requested, coordinator will seek input from SMH/HH's on call intensivist (ICU) physician as needed. Verifies any special needs (telemetry, isolation, ventilator, etc.) which will affect bed placement.
- Collaborates with internal departments to facilitate ease of patient admission to unit, resolving identified problems as able.
- Assists in the resolution of admission delays as able.
Quality improvement based on Professional Education and Experience
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in the SMH admission process.
- Works collaboratively with interested parties to identify improvements in systems that will expedite the admission process and improve satisfaction.
- Participates on committee work as requested
- Assists in the review and development of policies /protocols.
- Maintains confidentiality as it relates to all patient encounters/interactions.
- Maintains skills/knowledge base via formal and informal in-service training.
- Provides appropriate feedback to referring physicians and facilities regarding delays
- Assists in the development and /or review of policies and procedures as requested.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in the transfer process
- Works collaboratively with the SCTC Medical Director, Director and/or Manager of Admission Center to identify improvements in systems which will expedite the transfer process and improve provider satisfaction.
Performs other duties as assigned by Admission Center Director/Manager.
Licensed Registered Nurse with current NYS registration and minimum 3-5 years recent acute care hospital or comparable experience. Possesses excellent communication and critical thinking skills. Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and excellent customer service skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Admitting Clin/Strong Consult Transfer Ctr Coord
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 207585
Full/Part Time: Full-Time