University of Rochester Supvr Medical Records in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Health Information Mgmt Dept
General Purpose: Manages the activities of the Record Control, Release of Information/Incomplete Records or Coding areas. Supervises staff in area of responsibility and serves as a liaison for outside vendor of contracted services. Provides support for personnel, planning and problem resolution. Recommends goals and objectives for the area. Promotes positive customer relations and ensures communication with staff.
Under general direction and latitude for independent judgment:
- Directs and supervises assigned staff in area of responsibility (Record Control, Release of Information/Incomplete Records, Coding). Schedules staff to ensure adequate coverage 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Directs the sorting, filing and maintenance of medical records. Ensures receipt of records and supervises the review of records to ascertain required documents and signatures are included. Determines the responsible physician for completion of records to meet Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requirements. Refers incomplete records to responsible physician and monitors status of completion according to standards. Supervises the accurate and timely coding of diagnoses and procedures and abstraction of data from records. Ensures release of medical information upon proper authorization pursuant to state and federal statutes that may apply.
- Recruit, hire, promote, evaluate performance, recommend salary adjustments, determine disciplinary action and perform related personnel actions. Responsible for final approval of payroll on time management system software. Develops and implements training programs for staff within unit.
- Establishes and maintains effective customer service relations for area including interactions with other hospital departments, clinical staff, patients, outside contract vendors, third party payors and the public. Works with supervisors of other departments to identify and resolve problems and change procedures to provide optimum service. Works effectively with external agencies and customers to facilitate auditing of medical records and resolution of payment discrepancies.
- Interpret and communicate to staff hospital, University and department policy. With Assistant Director, develops goals and objectives, recommends and implements policy and procedure changes in work methods and procedures within unit. Prepares routine operational and special reports as needed.
- Assists in formulation of departmental budgets and recommends methods of cost reduction. Ensures the maintenance of adequate supplies and maintenance of equipment.
- Attends and participates in departmental, hospital and professional meetings to keep knowledge current. Communicates and interprets JCAHO standards, state and federal statutes for staff and hospital community and medical staff. Serves as definitive hospital resource for coding guidelines and principles.
Bachelors degree in Health Information Management, credential from American Health Information Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Supervisor of Coding and Release of Information/Incomplete Records must be credentialled and have at least two years prior experience. Knowledge of mainframe and PC computer applications. As assigned, a difference in skill sets and technical skills may be required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Supvr Medical Records
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 204109
Full/Part Time: Full-Time