University of Rochester Supervisor, Phlebotomy in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Phlebotomy
Under the direction of the Chief Supervisor, manages and is accountable for all aspects of service delivery, performance, and regulatory compliance for assigned area. The Supervisor provides technical expertise and supervision. Responsible for staff development, oversight of all training, scheduling, Quality Assurance, and operations. Sets expectations and models behaviors leading to a culture of team work and respect.
Under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment:
- Translates URMC and lab policies into effective section procedures, meeting all regulatory guidelines. Communicates, implements, maintains, and enforces compliance with all procedures, including safety/ infection control, technical performance, professional conduct, and documentation.
- Provides operational direction and technical guidance for staff. Ensures adequate resources. Visits regularly or on an emergent basis, and is available to all staff in areas of responsibility, including Medical Center, Nursing Homes, Patient Service Centers, clients, clinics, etc. Provides consultative support for customers.
- Supervises staff performance. Prepares and conducts accurate performance reviews. Provides constructive feedback and counseling for staff development. Initiates and conducts disciplinary actions.
- Oversees scheduling and management of work assignments; ensuring appropriate staffing coverage.
- Coordinates with Manger to develop goals and objectives which are in alignment with departmental goals. Stays informed on developments in the field or institutional initiatives and contributes to/supports improved processes. Proactively seeks information and makes recommendations to improve daily processes/work environment.
- Oversees effectiveness and timeliness of training; provides additional training as needed. Coordinates training needs with Training Coordinator to ensure ability to meet all service needs.
- Participates in laboratory/section management meetings and conducts regular staff meetings for area of responsibility. Responds to inquiries/concerns in a timely fashion.
- Follows Human Resource policies. Recommends actions related to hiring, promotion, discipline and termination. Participates in the candidate selection process.
- Participates in the department’s Quality Assurance program and reviews quality data regularly. Identifies trends and issues and works to implement timely solutions. Reviews error and incident reports; plans follow up and training to avoid repetition of errors.
- Verifies and authorizes payroll. Approves and monitors overtime usage.
Bachelor’s degree in science, management or related field and two years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Phlebotomy certification or experience preferred. Valid driver’s license or reliable daily transportation required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Supervisor, Phlebotomy
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202956
Full/Part Time: Full-Time