University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 SON Staff/Research Programs
8 AM-5 PM
Responsible for financial reporting of grants and contracts requiring knowledge of grant accounting, cost principles, and the University accounting system(s). Will work closely with the Administrator for the Center for Research and Evidence-based Practice in the oversight of both grant and center operating accounts.
- Prepare financial reports on a monthly basis by utilizing established accounting software in order to confirm completeness and accuracy of data; based on knowledge of the account and associated budget, ensure that the account balances are reasonable. Ensure that all account expenses are properly supported with the necessary documentation - if documentation is missing, take appropriate action to ensure it is acquired. Take responsibility for ensuring that all errors are identified and initiating corrective action; follow-up to ensure the resolution of problem is completed with a timely fashion. Prepare closeout reports for grant accounts and gathering all required supporting documentation. Liaison with Purchasing, Payroll, ORACS, ORPA, and other departments as appropriate.
- Track the effort and distribution of personnel associated with grant accounts. Ensure that all salaries, FTE, and other associated information is entered into the accounting system and that action is taken when errors are identified or changes need to be processed.
- Attend financial planning meetings with administrator and will prepare ad hoc or routine financial reports as requested, and either establish appropriate reporting format or follow format of other established reports.
- Ensure that all new accounts and awards are entered into the accounting system. Verify accuracy of the information compared to the Notice of Award from the funding agency and brings discrepancies to the attention of the administrator.
- Handle the petty cash and the disbursement and reconciliation of the account.
- Maintain data integrity of the accounting system, which includes awards, personnel, and non-personnel categories. Oversee the filing system to include structure, destruction dates, and off-site archiving.
- May supervise other personnel engaged in a variety of accounting activities. May occasionally participate in their work and assist in training of such staff.
- Will provide backup support for the administrator of the center. Maintain knowledge of federal policies related to grant accounting, as well as University policies and procedures.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, and 1 year of professional accounting experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. CLASP certification required, either at time of hire or obtained with the first two years of employment. Knowledge of University of Rochester policies and procedures, as well as federal guidelines and financial operations preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: School of Nursing
Job ID: 202032
Full/Part Time: Full-Time