University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Computer Science
8 AM-5 PM
*Position Summary: *
Performs professional accounting work at an operating level requiring knowledge and application of general accounting theory, techniques and practices and knowledge of the University accounting system. Accuracy and attention to detail are necessary.
- Within department guidelines but with latitude for independent judgement and self-directed actions develops and maintains complete and systematic set of records of department financial transactions; maintains accurate accounting records for audit.
- Manages grant budgets and interfaces with principal investigators central administrative offices including ORPA, ORACS, Finance and Advancement.
- Responsible for the payroll function for Computer Science faculty and staff.
- Analyzes and monitors financial data for all salary encumbrances; closes out outstanding encumbrances based upon monthly ledgers. Tracks faculty effort to insure all grant commitments are satisfied; creates various reports for faculty and administrator.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of finance and accounting policies
- Ensures accuracy and policy compliance of the UR Financial System (Workday) encumbrance system; responsible for the reconciliation of encumbrances; closes out outstanding encumbrances based upon monthly FAO statements.Resolves payroll and accounting transactions and discrepancies.Responsible for reconciliation of monthly ledgers for all and signature of all faculty.
- Initiates corrective action or recommends solutions as appropriate, ensures all expenses on workday and UR Gems have correct supporting documentation.Analyzes accounting documents to ascertain that transactions are properly supported in accordance with the university policy and procedures; uses judgement as to whether account balances are reasonable and notifies the department administrator when deficits occur or encumbrances that do not appropriately close.
- Develops financial projections; notifies academic faculty of account(s) status
- Prepares grants for closeout by coordinating with professor(s) projects deficits and carryovers providing all backup for charges from grant end
- Prepare Sub-contracts and coordinator billings on awards.
- Manages CEIS and match proposals requests. Provides NYSTAR semi-annual reportsoversees matching funds with corporate sponsors.
- Monitors Gift Database in File Maker Pro.
- Completes financial reports to effort commitment for Federal Grants to faculty for their annual reports.
- Maintains CLASP certification and attends monthly meeting.
- Train, organize and coordinate tasks for student employees
- Serve as backup to the administrator
- Oversee the electronic filing systems of research documentation
Requires Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 1 year professional accounting experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Requires excellent professional and interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with faculty, Accuracy and attention to detail are necessary. Requires strong computing skills and the ability to calculate, interpret and analyze figures//statistical data in word excel and database systems. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, File maker Prof (or other database), PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat. Prefer individual with experience with University of Rochester HRMS, URGEMS. Must be CLASP certified or willing to become CLA SP certified. Must be familiar with URSPACE, COGNOS & WORKDAY Ability to perform Internet searches and to complete Internet transactions using web-based data entry programs.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: Sch Engineering & App Sci
Job ID: 201315
Full/Part Time: Full-Time