University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Psychiatry Administration
8 AM-4:30 PM
THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF 7/31/18.
Performs support of Psychiatry Research & SMH Finance functions. This individual must have knowledge and application of general accounting theory, techniques and practices, and knowledge of the University's accounting system and regulations for submission and reporting of federal NIH grants. The incumbent plays a pivotal role in the Department of Psychiatry's monitoring activities for grants & SMH expenses.
Under general direction and with latitude to exercise independent judgment within established policy:
- Reconciliation of monthly ledgers to ensure appropriate charges.
- Reviews financial transactions using independent thinking abilities to identify problems based on analysis, initiates action plan, and follows through until resolution is complete.
- Ensures transactions are properly supported in accordance with University policy and procedures.
- Analysis and comparison of monthly salary reallocations by utilizing HRMS labor queries to ensure accuracy.
- Initiates corrective action or recommends solutions as appropriate.
- Works with administrators to acquire appropriate back-up documentation for authorized purchases/services to ensure accuracy of data.
- Performs miscellaneous accounting functions when required.
Grant Closeout and Reporting
- Assists Psych Research Administrators to ensure financial reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Verifies carry forward is requested and applied to continuation accounts and the projected charges and salary redistributions hit the accounts properly.
- Investigative work and problem solving ability to identify incorrect activity on closed FAQ's, along with necessary action to make sure the reported figure ultimately matches the UR Financial system and the FAO can be removed from the internal accounting system.
- Psychiatry administrators to prepare and submit accurate Reports of Expenditures in a timely manner and ensures that the expenses are in accordance with grant guidelines.
Preparation of Financial Reports
- Produces routine and special reports indicating the current and projected status of funds relating to the Department of Psychiatry's research grant and contract awards.
- Prepares projections and summaries for faculty investigators about spending rates and balances available for specific accounts.
- Designs reports and statements to assist with the closeout of accounting reports for sponsored research.
- Special Projects as assigned.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Produce journal entries when needed.
- Billing of contracts
Bachelor's degree in Accounting and 1 year experience as a Staff Accountant (4 years’ experience preferred); or equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficiency with MS Word, EXCEL, and ACCESS. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills required. Knowledge of University policies and procedures preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 201543
Full/Part Time: Full-Time