University of Rochester Sr Psychiatric Case Mgr in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 093 Psychiatry SMH Addiction Psych
8 AM-4:30 PM; WKENDS AS NEEDED
The general function of the Senior Psychiatric Case Manager is to provide support to a caseload of moderately-to-severe mentally ill clients in an effort to acclimate these clients to new environmental settings. There is an expectation that services will be coordinated by the Senior Psychiatric Case Manager by which barriers will be lowered and linkages to necessary services will be established in a timely fashion. An active approach is taken to teach clients to advocate for themselves whenever possible in order to improve the quality of their lives and diminish the effects of their illnesses. The Senior Psychiatric Case Manager is supervised by the Director of Case Management Services who is a mental health professional and serves as liaison between the program and community providers. The Senior Psychiatric Case Manager subscribes to the Department’s goal of creating a culturally competent environment by treating patients/families, trainees, research subject, and co-workers in a sensitive and caring manner with appropriate attention to cultural differences. Participates in available cultural competence events and trainings. The Senior Psychiatric Case Manager may provide guidance, direction, and supervision to Psychiatric Case Managers and may participate in evaluating the performance of Psychiatric Case Managers.
- Develop, review, and evaluate the needs for psychiatric case management services for a target population in collaboration with a program coordinator who is a mental health professional; act as a liaison to community providers and explain program goals to individuals and groups; screen referrals for psychiatric case management and make recommendations to the Director about assignments of Psychiatric Case Managers to patients. Senior Psychiatric Case Managers must have a thorough understanding of the governmental agencies, entitlements, criminal justice system, as well as the medical delivery system.
- Conduct training for new Psychiatric Case Managers and provide input to the Director regarding the performance of Psychiatric Case Managers assigned to his/her team; provide guidance and direction to Psychiatric Case Managers Regarding role performance and program policies.
- With minimal supervision, direct and support a caseload of severely and difficult-to-handle mentally ill patients in their acclimation to new community environments, social adjustment and interpersonal relationships, employment opportunities, avocational interests, understanding and use of public transportation, and knowledge of available recreational or leisure time activities.
- Responsible for visiting patients in their community setting in order to assess their progress toward meeting the goals of the care plan and to monitor compliance with the treatment plan. Teach, guide, and assist patients and family members to ensure their clear understanding of the patient’s needs and expectations of the specific care plan, and make recommendations regarding modifications to treatment plans to the mental health professionals.
- Independently carry out strategies for implementation of the care plan by establishing contact with various service providers and family members to link patients with existing resources, ensure appropriate utilization of life support services in the community, ensure the smooth and orderly transition of patients into their respectively designated placement, and take initiative for suggesting appropriate community services that would enable the patient to function at his/her optimal level in the community.
- Assume responsibility for maintain contact with service providers to asses appropriateness of placement, continued progress of patients, and other supplemental needs of patients. Implement proper intervention strategies with minimal supervision from the Director.
- Document patient contacts and patient progress in the medical record, and assist patients with paperwork correspondence necessary to ensure linkage to appropriate resources. Monitor productivity against expectations.
Associate’s degree in health-related field and 2-3 years of experience as a Psychiatric Case Manager; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid New York State license, have a satisfactory driving record, and have access to reliable transportation.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sr Psychiatric Case Mgr
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202663
Full/Part Time: Full-Time