University of Rochester Sr Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 SON CNE Ctr Entrepreneurship
8 AM-5 PM
Under general direction of the Business Manager, with latitude to exercise independent judgement, supports Center for Nursing Entrepreneurship in budget development, monitoring financial activity and preparing quarterly and year-end reports.
The Sr. Accountant will assist in the implementation of the financial vision for the Center for Nursing Entrepreneurship. Conducts detailed analysis of accounts, including account history, trends, forecasts and the drivers of each. Provides accurate financial information to support successful financial management of Center of Employee Wellness, Passport Health, and Flu Program.
- Responsible for the financial accuracy and integrity of all accounting/financial transactions including revenue, personnel and non-salary expenditures for all CNE business lines. Requires in-depth knowledge of operational costs and revenue pertaining to each distinct business line, and includes trending, forecasting, and drivers for each. This includes the review and approval for non-salary and salary related expenditure request. Oversees reconciliation process and uses judgement as to whether account balances are reasonable. Examines documents to determine transactions are properly supported in accordance with University policy and procedure. Investigates errors and initiate corrective action including if documentation is missing or incomplete. Liaison with purchasing, finance, payroll, patient accounts and other departments as necessary. As required, prepares and submits correcting journal entries to SON central finance for processing including appropriate backup to substantiate the request.
- Design financial reports and spreadsheets as needed for senior officials of SON to identify trends and variances and resolve budgeting discrepancies. Ad-hoc reporting, as assigned by SON leadership.
- Preparation of annual operating and capital budgets using the medical center online budgeting system incorporating assumptions formalized by our strategic plan initiatives and budget meetings. Document detailed budget assumptions and rationale for budget calculations. Prepare budgets in conjunction with appropriate personnel as needed. Ongoing monitoring of budget to actual expenses, including preparation of monthly variance reports with detailed justification. Preparation of quarterly year end projections including financial analysis & narrative explaining items deviating from budget. In collaboration with SON leadership, develops incremental budget changes required to match resources against revenue projections and prepares budget exception request forms as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining account balances and managing invoicing for clients associated with Employee Wellness, Passport Health and flu programs; liaison with employer groups for account payment and balance information. Reconcile payment information with Accounts Receivable and provide SON central finance with monthly revenue accruals; liaison with URMFG for billing reports/issues. Maintain professional, positive demeanor in all interactions with clients.
- Supervise bookkeeper. Develop and maintain best practices system to ensure integrity of financial data and records. Review salary and non-salary reconciliation reports for accuracy and appropriateness of charges. Oversee archived files and destruction of files as appropriate according to University policy.
- Evaluate processes and procedures to ensure efficiencies and accuracies and other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, and 3 years of experience as a staff accountant; or equivalent combination of education or experience. Willingness to share information and knowledge, and assist on special projects and other related duties. Position requires strong computing skills and the ability to calculate, interpret and analyze figures/statistical data in Word, Excel, and accounting/encumbrance systems. In addition, strong communications skills (verbal and written), and the willingness to learn and adapt to new systems and changes in institutional priorities and policies are required. Knowledge of University accounting system, policies and procedure preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sr Accountant
Location: School of Nursing
Job ID: 201839
Full/Part Time: Full-Time