University of Rochester Sr Accountant - Finance in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Warner School of Education
8:30 AM-5 PM
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Administration, and with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, is responsible for monitoring and supporting all aspects of the financial component of the Warner School core operations. In addition, as a member of the Warner School finance team, will contribute as needed to other aspects of Warner’s accounting and reporting functions. The person in this position needs to have strong organizational and interpersonal skills in addition to accounting skills, and the ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Analyze and validate financial data from UR Financials and Cognos.Utilize the available data to develop standard and customized reports in UR Financials and/or by exporting and manipulating the data in Excel.
- Develop and update various spreadsheets on an ad-hoc and routine basis related to ledger activity and provide financial projections utilizing Access, Excel, Cognos, UR-GEMS, UR Financials, etc.
- In collaboration with the Sr. Grant Accountant, update financial data on non-core, sponsored research activities at Warner.
- In accordance with University policy and procedures, review and approve expenditures from operating, gift and endowment accounts. Examine accounting documents to ascertain that transactions are properly supported.
- Upon discovery of financial transaction errors, initiate corrective action and when necessary recommend and initiate solutions to minimize future errors.
- Support the financial operations of other Centers/Institutes housed within the Warner School.This includes providing training and guidance on financial matters, as needed, to the Center/institute administrator and in adherence with University Policy, managing the Independent Contractor assessment process.
- Research, track and report progress on special projects, such as East High EPO and Horizons, at the request of the Director of Finance.
- In collaboration with the Dean, Associate Dean of graduate studies, Admissions Director and Bursar’s Office manage the complex tuition waiver system for all Warner students.Monitor the timely and accurate processing of waivers (totaling close to $4M/year), review monthly tuition management reports and resolve any discrepancies.Create and update reports and projections on tuition and tuition aid.
- Serve as the Warner School lead for UR Financials reporting. Contribute to the ongoing transition and upgrades to Workday UR Financials by participating on designated teams and performing testing as needed.Train other finance personnel on usage of UR Financials reports.
- Research, prepare and track journal entries/expense transfers as needed. Provide backup for processing of payments and deposits.
- Analyze data and provide reports and input for the fiscal year budget process and fiscal year end close.Input budget data in the internal budget system and validate the data once uploaded into UR Financials.
Personnel Financial Administration
- Prepare contracts for adjunct faculty and internship supervisors (in collaboration with dean, chairs and Student Teaching Coordinator), and monitor the timely and accurate processing of related payments. Follow up with individuals as needed to resolve issues.
- In collaboration with the Dean, Associate Dean of graduate studies, and Admissions Director, prepare and distribute award letters to doctoral students receiving graduate research/teaching assistantships, and monitor the timely and accurate processing of related payments and tuition waivers. Follow up with individuals as needed to resolve issues.
- Monitor changes in distribution of effort for faculty and staff and proactively process appropriate personnel action forms
- Execute timely and accurate preparation of forms/requests for recruitment, appointment, termination, leave of absence and disability for faculty,staff, students and special programs such as Horizons at Warner
- Support the annual wage and salary program implementation by validating data, preparing planning forms for submission and managing communication to faculty and staff.
Other Departmental Support and Special Projects
- In collaboration with the Director of Finance and Administration, coordinate annual University reporting requirements (Planned Confirmation System Review, Conflict of Interest, Foreign Activity Reporting, Summer Salary Certifications, etc.) and information requests from the Budget Office
- Manage URSpace and complete bi-annual space inventory
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Bachelor's degree, and 3 years of relevant professional experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel required. Previous experience with UR Financials, Cognos and URGems is desirable.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in finance and/or accounting. Ability to interact with all levels of faculty and staff, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, shows initiative and resourcefulness in managing priorities and takes responsibility for accomplishing his/her own work while maintaining confidentiality of information.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sr Accountant - Finance
Location: Warner Grad School Education
Job ID: 202088
Full/Part Time: Full-Time