University of Rochester Special Collections Assistant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 35 hours Grade 008 ESM Sibley Music Library
The Sibley Music Library seeks a service-oriented individual to assist in the Ruth T. Watanabe Special Collections department (RTWSC). Under the supervision of the Head of Special Collections, the successful candidate will provide direct assistance to patrons who access, both on-site and remotely, RTWSC holdings; will process newly acquired collections; and will assist in various aspects of departmental oversight. Other relevant duties may be explored and assigned to match the successful candidate’s skill-set and aptitude. RTWSC is comprised of a vast assembly of material, housed both on-site and off-site, including (but not limited to) an internationally renowned collection of rare books and scores, an extensive array of named archival collections, the proprietary papers of several professional associations in music (held on deposit), and the administrative and historical records that comprise the Eastman School of Music Archive.
- Patron interface. Interfaces with patrons to assess information needs and to answer questions
- Retrieval. Retrieves archival materials for patron use in the Special Collections reading room, and monitors use of same
- Reference. Provides written responses to inquiries, frequently requiring that the employee synthesize information from unique archival records
- Document delivery. Participates in the department’s document delivery service by photocopying or scanning archival materials in response to patron requests
Organization of Information: Archival Processing
- Carries out intellectual and physical arrangement of collections
- Carries out description (written finding aids) of collections
- Courier. Assists with on-going retrieval from, and re-filing at, the off-site UR Library Annex.
- Security. Assists the Head of Special Collections in monitoring and administering security over the department’s collections
- Housekeeping. Assists the Head of Special Collections in activities associated with promoting the department’s general welfare and housekeeping
- Two years of post-high school education and 3-4 years of work experience required or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Prefer Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Respect for archival materials, and the capacity to exercise care in their handling
- Excellent customer service orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to remain on task working independently
- Close attention to detail
- Ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 20-25 pounds
- Musical literacy, i.e. the ability to read music, and a knowledge of basic musical terminology
- Reading knowledge of at least one European language
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office software
- Valid Drivers’ License & access to a vehicle for off-site courier service.
- Work experience in either a library or an archival repository
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Special Collections Assistant
Location: Eastman School Music
Job ID: 202719
Full/Part Time: Full-Time