University of Rochester Secretary IV in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Acute Care Surgery
Performs complex secretarial and administrative duties, in a fast-paced environment with minimal direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment, in support of the clinical, educational, and academic programs in the Division of Acute Care/Trauma Surgery. Responsibilities include time and calendar management, telephone triaging and management, and information/data support.
Patient Scheduling and Coordination of Care
- Receives incoming patient telephone calls for surgeon(s) and nurse practitioner(s), managing and/or resolving various scheduling/coordination issues and answering questions as needed. Coordinate scheduling of patients and coordinates referrals for consults. Obtains patient medical records to facilitate patient care. Triages telephone calls from patients and referring physicians to surgeons, residents, and nurse practitioners.
- Attends weekly clinic with faculty and nurse practitioner which includes patient check in/check out, registration verification, and co-pay collection. Schedules appointments, tests, and surgeries, coordinating appointments, tests and consults in preparation for surgery or further clinical work-up. Interacts effectively in carrying out these responsibilities, presenting a positive image for the Division of Acute Care/Trauma Surgery.
Time and Calendar Management
- Effectively balances competing demands of surgeon time by managing calendar, including all clinical activity, administrative meetings, research, education, and academic commitments.
Document and Information Management
- Coordinates maintenance of patient records, documentation for billing, completion/submission of documents regarding patient care and insurance. Transcribes, proofreads, and ensures accuracy and timeliness of all written materials, including medical reports and correspondence, and business correspondence. Demonstrates knowledge of medical terminology, word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software. Researches hospital medical records for information requested by physicians, insurance companies, and attorneys.
- Obtains authorizations and pre-verifies insurance. Performs all front-end billing functions for surgeon’s office and ensures these functions are performed in an accurate and timely manner. Functional knowledge of ICD10 coding, insurance company referrals/precertification, worker’s compensation and demographic information.
Other Office Management
- Coordinates work with nurse practitioner(s). Manages all incoming mail for surgeon(s) and nurse practitioner(s) assuring that all correspondence receives timely attention and is followed up appropriately. Manages routing supplies and ensures expenses, including physician dues, fees, and related practice expenses, are reimbursed appropriately. Maintains database to track expenses and payments. Coordinates transfer of patient studies to and from other hospitals and physician offices. Assists with department hiring processes by training incoming new secretaries or temporary secretaries when requested. Functional knowledge of various office equipment. Provides coverage for absences within the division, off-site practice location, and within the department when requested.
High School Diploma plus minimum two years post high school education and three years relevant experience required. Equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable. Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications required. Experience in medical office setting required. IDX, e-Record, and medical terminology preferred. Excellent customer service skills a must.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Secretary IV
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 202087
Full/Part Time: Full-Time