University of Rochester Secretary III in Rochester, New York
Full Time 37.5 hours Grade 007 Multidisciplinary Studies Cntr
Performs routine and non-routine office duties primarily for the Multidisciplinary Studies Center (MSC) minimum direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment. On occasion this position may also provide support on an ad hoc basis for the College Dean’s office. Is a critical component in supporting College certificate programs and minors, and the Literary Translation Studies graduate program. Helps in onboarding new faculty members, manages the course schedule process, and maintains websites and promotional materials. Also provides support to faculty committees. Prepares and processes University forms. Assists with the planning and implementation of annual special events such as program diploma ceremonies.
Specific Support Needs:
Greeting/scheduling/phones/making campus referrals/maintaining calendars
- Works with students, prospective students, and faculty to direct their inquiries and help connect them to important resources.
- Prepares meeting agendas, serves as the recording secretary and distributes minutes as requested.
- Arranges and prepares for meetings (faculty steering committees) including securing room locations and making arrangements for supportive technology.
- Answers telephones and triages calls for multiple offices. Forwards and transfers calls as appropriate and understands how to contact key individuals quickly.
- Manages multiple calendars.
- Copies, scans, and faxes for departmental personnel.
- Assists in the pick-up and/or delivery of:paperwork, requisitions, etc.
Event planning including diploma ceremonies and speaker colloquiums
- Works with caterers and Event and Classroom Management on diploma ceremony receptions
- Communicates with guest speakers to request information about their presentations and technology needs
- Secures room locations for events and catering arrangements
- College certificate programs (process registration forms, clear students for graduation, communicate with faculty, help in the annual assessment process, update certificate webpages, assist with the New York State registration process)
- Multidisciplinary Studies Center minors (enter minor information into database, update minor webpages)
- Support MSC’s graduate program – Literary Translation Studies (manage admissions process, process tuition award forms, clear students for degree completion, communicate with program students, attend monthly Graduate Assistants meeting)
- Manages the course schedule process
- Maintains student databases for MSC programs
- Updates promotional materials
- Helps in onboarding new faculty members including (but not limited to) visiting professors and adjunct instructors.
Budget and financial forms
- Will need to stay informed about University policies and procedures.
- May prepare and processes University forms including but not limited to: Travel and Conference, Student Expense Reports, Requests for Payments, 312 Requisitions, and Facilities requests.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility when ordering and maintaining office supplies and equipment.
- Helps track departmental expenses and has working knowledge of department budgets.
2 years of post high school education: secretarial or word processing studies, or the equivalent. At least 2 years of secretarial, word processing and practical office experience with demonstrated ability to work with limited direction and to direct the work of word processors or clerical assistants.
The successful candidate will exhibit strong organizational and interpersonal skills, a desire to deliver excellent customer service, and a commitment to serving diverse student populations. Desirable skills include familiarity with Mac computer applications such as FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Word and Excel.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Secretary III
Location: The College
Job ID: 201683
Full/Part Time: Full-Time