University of Rochester Secretary III in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 007 Autopsy Pathology
Strong transcription skills, including excellent spelling, medical terminology, and grammar, and strong interpersonal/communication skills are essential. Perform an assortment of duties to support the clinical mission of the unit including answering phone calls, funeral director support, filing slides, printing and collating pathology reports and requisitions, preparing material (reports, blocks, slides) for sending out to reference labs and for clinical trials, accessioning outside slide consultation cases, greeting visitors, and other clerical duties as needed.
- Support the Autopsy and Neuropathology faculty, residents, and technicians with the process of completing and distributing autopsy and neuropathology reports. This includes, but is not limited to, handling requests for faxing reports and documents to clinicians and consultants, responding to requests for sending slides to other institutions for consultation or for reference testing or clinical trials, preparing Federal Express packages, and managing outside slide consultation requests including accessioning, labeling slides, and assigning the case to the pathologist.
- Support the funeral directors by signing out the decedents to the funeral directors. May need to assist funeral director in moving decedent if necessary.
- Comply with request for clinical trials. Review request, pull slides for faculty review, order recut slides when needed, and submit material to study coordinator when ready.
- Manage request for ancillary studies on our pathology material. Fill out and submit requests for molecular and cytogenetic studies. Follow-up by adding test results to the pathology report when completed.
- Accurately transcribe gross description and diagnosis reports using computerized laboratory information system and voice dictation software.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor and/or unit director.
Two years of post-high school education; secretarial or word processing studies; experience in an office setting or equivalent; a combination of education and experience. At least 2 years of secretarial, word processing and practical office experience with demonstrated ability to work with limited direction and to direct the work of word processors or clerical assistants. Familiarity with advanced medical terminology. Experience transcribing voice dictation.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Secretary III
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202117
Full/Part Time: Full-Time