University of Rochester Research Support Assistant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 007 General Pediatrics
8:30 AM-5 PM; WEEKENDS AND EVENINGS ROTATING SCHEDULE
THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF 12/31/18.
Work daily on large community-based pediatric asthma interventions within the City of Rochester. Participate in recruitment, enrollment, and follow-up of young children and adolescents with asthma and their caregivers. Explain studies in detail, use own judgement to answer participant questions, provide informed consent, conduct in-person and telephone interviews, collect breathing measurements, complete medical record reviews, and conduct literature searches. Maintain study documentation and databases, as well as enter, organize, and verify study data. Communicate with and travel to local Rochester schools, pediatric offices, pharmacies, emergency departments, and participants’ homes.
- Conduct participant screening for research studies. Conduct telephone calls to screen potential participants for eligibility and interest in asthma study. Conduct detailed screening surveys and use own judgement to determine if subject is eligible. Schedule home visits with family, and coordinate schedules with other staff to conduct home visits. Organize and maintain all screening data in a database.
- Conduct subject enrollment for the research studies. Travel to appropriate sites for subject recruitment, including homes, emergency departments, and schools. Explain study in detail and answer all participant questions. Obtain written informed consent from caregivers and verbal assent from children. Conduct interviews and administer surveys to participants. Collect breathing measurements (spirometry, eNO), height and weight, and saliva samples from child/adolescents participants. Work with children/adolescents to assure comfort with and accuracy of data collection. Maintain subject documentation, including memorandums and letters. Provide enrollment updates at weekly study meeting, and provide updates daily to study coordinators and asthma coordinator.
- Ensure timely follow-up data collection for the research studies. Conduct telephone and in-person follow-up surveys with participants. Make sure that all follow-up surveys are conducted within a specific timeframe. Conduct medical chart reviews to obtain additional study-related data.
- Data collection, entry, and maintenance. Collect data from interviews and other sources from asthma studies. Perform on-site validity checks of data and obtains clarification as needed. Verify study-related information and review subject records to ensure complete and accurate data. Enter data into database. Run simple reports from database. Conduct data cleaning procedures. Assist with database creation, edits, and general maintenance.
- Help to train and supervise student research assistants. Delegate tasks and review progress, provide feedback and additional training. Assist with bi-weekly student meetings to ensure students are informed of study tasks and understand priorities.
- Perform additional research duties as assigned by study coordinator, including: assist with presentations, posters, manuscripts, literature reviews, general office duties, etc.
One year of post-high school education and one to two years of related experience, or equivalent. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in a social or technical field preferred. Occasional evenings and weekend are required. Must have reliable transportation for travel to schools, homes, pediatric offices, and other local sites. Ability to speak Spanish is desired.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Research Support Assistant
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 202163
Full/Part Time: Full-Time