University of Rochester Public Relations Associate in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Public Relations & Comns MC
8:30 AM-5 PM
Under direction and with considerable latitude for exercise of independent judgment, assists in executing ongoing communications efforts and campaigns aimed at the School of Nursing’s constituents, including faculty, students, alumni, and external audiences. While some assignments are received in the form of written or verbal instructions, many are uncovered and all are implemented with a significant degree of initiative and independent creativity. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented and possesses strong writing skills and ability to vary his/her writing style to craft compelling and useful content for diverse materials and audiences. An ongoing student and user of social media, the candidate will work to continually improve and better leverage new media vehicles (e.g., e-newsletters, video, blogs, and social media platforms) to ensure message saturation as well as cultivate a more active dialogue between SON and its audiences.
- Social Media Content Development: Oversees, grows and more deeply leverages SON’s existing social media communities, including driving traffic to and managing pages on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Examines and evaluates opportunities to develop and populate SON presence on new and emerging platforms. Works closely with Web Communications Manager to align content with overall SON editorial calendar. Also works closely with Student Affairs personnel on messaging for prospective students, applicants, and current students, and with Advancement and Alumni Relations personnel on messages aimed at alumni. Serves as a liaison for feeding content to URMC’s social media platforms.
- Research/Interviewing/Writing: Follows-up on leads and also independently discovers, gathers, judges, selects, and interprets newsworthy material. Interviews faculty, staff, and others to identify potential stories. Writes articles for publications (NURSING magazine published 2x/year), e-newsletters, news releases, and internal communications.
- Media Relations: Assists with responses to media requests and with the coordination of media interviews, videography, and photography, as needed. Proactively works to identify newsworthy subjects, assists with media pitching as needed, and fosters positive relationships with media to promote SON visibility locally, regionally, and nationally. Tracks media mentions of SON in PR department media log.
- Publications Production: Serves as editor/curator of monthly e-newsletter. Assists in aspects of publication production including providing creative input, scheduling and overseeing photography, and proofreading as needed.
- Marketing-Communications Collaboration: Works in tandem with SON marketing representative(s), faculty, staff, and other departments as needed, to provide communications and public relations direction, expertise, and ideas, and assist in the development and implementation of broad marketing-communications plans to support the goals of various SON programs.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience (5 years’ experience preferred) in Public Relations/Communications.
- Self-starter; proven track-record for driving and orchestrating big projects; creative, and organized.
- Outstanding writing, editing and general communications skills; able to recast stories for target audiences.
- Interest in emerging communications technologies/changing media landscape.
- Knowledge/familiarity with graphic design, photography and visual media.
- Able to collaborate easily with faculty, staff, reporters, PR colleagues, and SON leadership.
- Experience in health care or a higher education environment is a plus.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Public Relations Associate
Location: Health Sciences
Job ID: 201983
Full/Part Time: Full-Time