University of Rochester Project Asst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 001 OR-Surg Support Nursing/SMH
The SSO Technician is responsible for the preparation of robotics, lasers and other equipment used by Faculty and clinical staff in the operating room suite. The SSO Technician insures equipment is in operating order prior to use, syncs equipment with specified software prior to patient cases and assures proper handling by faculty and staff along with facilitating and monitoring for proper cleaning and maintenance. The SSO Technician also serves as the SME (Subject Matter Expert) for Certification and training for Faculty and Staff.
- Docks and un-docks complex robotics equipment in the Brain Lab and all other areas of the Level I trauma center prior to each procedure to ensure proper utilization during surgical procedures. Syncs mechanical robotics equipment to software per the specifics of each piece of equipment, as well as syncs hospital beds to robotics per specifications of each unique piece of equipment. May be called in for emergency cases.
- Operates and syncs stealth navigation system for spine surgery operations. Syncs equipment to software as appropriate for each procedure. May be called in for emergency cases.
- Balances microscopes at the Level I Trauma Center and integrates microscopes with individual monitoring systems for each service line.
- Downloads images from CT monitor and transfers to robotics equipment to create 3D mapping for each tumor surgery, specific to the patient. Matches instrumentation with 3D image for physician navigation.
- Assures that all equipment is in compliance hospital standard and in compliance with Clinical Engineering specifications.
- Conducts test runs of lasers and maintains knowledge of multiple laser applications.
- Assists staff in facilitating patient flow and contributes to keeping the operating room proper orderly and clean to assure a safe work environment.
- Directs equipment repairs, schedules routine maintenance and safety checks of the Lasers, Microscopes, Imagine Guided Systems, Robotic Systems, Video Systems and other service specific technology.
- Makes capital equipment purchase, investment and repair recommendations while maintaining knowledge of and sensitivity towards use of capital equipment approaching end of life.Maintains organization of equipment storage rooms and operating room equipment inventory.
- Establishes a working relationship through positive communication with the OR, SPD, MPD, Facilities, Clinical Engineering, Nursing staff and PSAs to communicate equipment needs.
- Serves as a SME (subject matter expert) for Laser Certification at the SMH Operating Room. Trains faculty and staff on Laser Certification competencies, while keeping abreast of and maintaining own knowledge of changing requirements for certifications and equipment.
- Orients and trains all faculty, clinical staff and PSA staff to new equipment, including providing in-service training to off-shift faculty and staff.
- Serves as SME for all new OR capital equipment upgrades and changes, including ultrasounds, beds, electro surgical cautery, etc., for Faculty and staff.
- Trouble shoots equipment related questions at the SMH OR and relays information to the Clinical Staff.
- Creates and maintains equipment manual for direct service line.
Performs other related duties as required.
High School graduate with 1-2 years of relevant Operation Room experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Associate’s Degree and working knowledge of medical equipment, computer operations, technology, software integration and medical terminology. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Project Asst
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 201332
Full/Part Time: Full-Time