University of Rochester Pro Fee Coder in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 008 URMFG Business Office
8 AM-4:30 PM
Responsible for in-depth analysis of medical records to abstract all diagnoses and procedures. Assigns ICD-diagnosis, CPT, and HCPCS codes from appropriate coding classification system.
- Performs in depth analysis of medical records to abstract diagnoses and procedures.
- Confers with Physicians to obtain greater specificity and/or clarification on possible diagnoses.
- Uses thorough knowledge of coding systems and edit logic to assign appropriate codes. Understands third party payers to enable selection of appropriate codes and sequencing, including modifier assignment.
- Ensures integrity of data prior to transmission.
- Inputs data into computer for billing, research, and clinical analysis purposes.
- As necessary, provides Physicians and other staff with information relative to coding.
- Prepares reports as requested and related clerical tasks.
Associate Degree in Health Information Technology. Minimum of two years coding for Physician office setting or Acute Care Facility preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification in one of the following may be required upon hire or within one year of employment:
Successful completion of Certified Professional Coder (CPC) examination through American Academy of Professional Coders, American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) accreditation examination for Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS, CCS-P) or Certified Coding Associate (CCA) preferred. Knowledge of CPT, ICD-9-CM, and ICD-10-CM required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Pro Fee Coder
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 199525
Full/Part Time: Full-Time