University of Rochester Physician Support Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Ophthalmology
8 AM-4:30 PM
Description of Major Duties:
Acts as lead and single point of contact for a clinical section of the Eye Institute’s Comprehensive Faculty Practice. Responsible for addressing and following through on all patient care related activities; oversees assigned clinical faculty schedules. Position requires an individual that is capable of managing day-to-day activities of assigned section and making independent decisions in regards to overall clinical management of assigned service. Expected to be able to cross-cover other non-assigned services. Oversees & provides training to Administrative Sec position.
Overall job description:
- Communicates Comprehensive specific scheduling adjustment needs between assigned faculty, technicians, surgical schedulers, administrative secretaries and front desk secretaries. Manages assigned Comprehensive clinical faculty patient schedules, such as monitors schedules daily; authorizes staff to over book appointments; coordinates setting up clinical appointments at non-standard times, which involves finding open exam rooms, available technician, available provider, and diagnostic technician to accommodate the appointment for the patient. Ensures that new patient notes are received; monitor VA authorization statuses.
- Provides Training for new personnel and updates/train current personnel on new procedures for Comprehensive Service (such as changes in scheduling, trains on new functions to use in IDX when scheduling for Comprehensive Service. Oversees Secretary III Front Desk positions in regards to scheduling and clinical administrative duties. Addresses non-standard/urgent/emergency patient care related information and scheduling requests (i.e. matters that cannot be addressed by Check-in/Check-out secretaries and ACD operator/appointment schedulers)
- Works with diagnostic testing staff and ophthalmic technicians to setup specialized procedures and examinations with patients. Ensures that staff schedules, provider schedules and proper minor operating rooms are available to accommodate the specialized procedure and in addition coordinates anesthesia for appointment when needed. Obtains insurance pre-authorization as needed and contacts patient prior to appointment if any problems arise with insurance. In addition, works with Billing Office in responding to denied claims and/or provide additional clinical information for claims that are appealed for these procedures. Keeps track of injections. Orders weekly as need and obtains authorizations.
- Responsible for sending dictation and visits notes to referring providers.
- Attends to service specific special programs, activities, and services. Examples would include facilitating setting sedated examinations for pediatric and/or adult patients, obtaining insurance pre-authorization and delivery of highly perishable (and expensive) macular degeneration medications, coordinating diagnostic testing and sub-specialty referrals for offsite Veterans’ Administration patients, assisting with coordinating high-profile surgical procedures for international patients (which often include media coverage), or working with clinical trials coordinators to integrate study patients into regular clinical schedules.
- Verifies encounters for proper coding prior to being billed.
- Monitors active patient charts after each clinical session to ensure that appropriate documentation is maintained (e.g. outstanding lab test results are received and reviewed).Reviews charts and prepares notations for clinical faculty review for prescription medication refill requests submitted by patients. In addition to monitoring no show appointments or cancellations; document in chart and send correspondence as necessary. Reviews encounters to ensure appointments are scheduled and scheduled correctly.
- Coordinates monthly clinical service team meetings as requested(to include faculty, technicians, managers, administrative secretarial support, nurses and other guests as needed) for each individual provider by establishing meeting times, prepares agendas, takes notes during meetings, and provides appropriate follow-up on action items.
- Collaborates with fellow clinical service coordinators to address scheduling and care needs for shared/multi-clinician patients (example: arranging that appointments are scheduled on the same day, no overlapping of testing, test results are provided to all providers within the practice).Also, remains abreast of fellow clinical service activities and provides interim fill-in support as needed (e.g. covering phone calls during a fellow coordinator’s absence for a day) which requires cross training for all service coordinator positions.
- Attends regular training and staff meetings hosted by the Practice Manager and the UREI Administrator. Also works with Billing and Accounting sections in order to remain up-to-date on medical billing and finance procedures. As needed, also provides administrative clinical support for departmental Fellows.
Associate’s degree in Medical, Secretarial or related field and a minimum of three years of relevant experience required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical Terminology, experiences with surgical/appointment scheduling software (such as Flowcast), and electronic medical records, preferred. Demonstrated customer relations skills.
Preferred: Ability to work independently with limited direction. Proficiency in Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, Power Point). Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bachelor’s is preferred in Health Care Administration or related field. Ophthalmology backgrounds a plus.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Physician Support Spec
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 201339
Full/Part Time: Full-Time