University of Rochester Phlebotomist; Full-Time, 40 hours in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 092 Phlebotomy
6AM-9PM; ROT WKENDS/HOL
Collects, registers, and processes patient laboratory specimens using a variety of collection techniques, protocols, and computer systems. Follows rigorous patient identification protocols for all ages and complexity of patients. May perform EKG’s. Services patients at any assigned location including Patient Service Centers, Clinics, and Nursing Homes and performs Home Draws. Exercises excellent judgment, problem-solving and customer service skills. Must be flexible and able to work independently, as well as part of a team. May be required to take on-call responsibilities.
- Patient Registration – Greets and pleasantly interacts with patients. Verifies patient demographic/insurance information and reviews physician order. Reconciles issues with patient or physician’s office, documents and updates computer systems. Uses multiple computer systems to complete patient and billing registrations, including conversion of diagnostic verbiage to billing codes, accurate interpretation and entry of tests, as well as generation of accurate labels.
- Specimen Collection – Follows patient identification and order verification protocols prior to collection of the specimen. Performs safe venipuncture, heel or finger sticks, and directs the collection of other specimens such as throat cultures, urine and stool following all age specific and procedural protocols as well as infection control and safety protocols. Labels all specimens according to protocols.
- Pre-analytical Processing – Performs processing of specimens including centrifugation, aliquoting, and preparation for transport including computer logging, packaging and appropriate prioritization actions for specimen integrity.
- Operational Support – Maintains supplies. Places orders following PAR level guidelines, receives and rotates stock according to expiration date. Maintains cleanliness and neatness of site. Monitors and maintains equipment, including daily temperature documentation, disinfection, sharps management, and performance of maintenance and inspections. Troubleshoots issues.
- Administrative Support – Answers phone and verbal customer inquiries, providing routine as well as technical information. Takes initiative to resolve all customer needs. Participates in all Quality Assurance monitors and initiatives, including data collection and statistics.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School degree or equivalent with six months of phlebotomy experience, or graduation from a phlebotomy training program; or an equivalent combination of education, experience, or certification. Valid driver’s license or reliable daily transportation. Knowledge of medical terminology/anatomy and customer service experience a plus.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Phlebotomist; Full-Time, 40 hours
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 201454
Full/Part Time: Full-Time