University of Rochester Pharmacist, Ambulatory Rx IT Manager in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Pharmacy SMH
The Ambulatory Rx IT Manager will be a pharmacist member of the Department of Pharmacy IT team with the responsibility to oversee, participate, and implement in the building and maintenance of the pharmacy information systems and integrated medication record. Under the direction of the leadership of both the Departments of Pharmacy and Information Systems Division, Ambulatory Rx IT Manager the position is responsible for the coordination of medication and pharmacy-related functionality and system adminstrator within the independent pharmacy systems as well as the integrated electronic health record, eRecord.
The Ambulatory Rx IT Manager will serve as a professional staff member in the Department of Pharmacy responsible for the clinical and medication use policy dimensions of all aspects of medication use in the integrated record. This position is responsible for the coordination of this system with an intimate understanding of changing scientific and biomedical evidence, a dynamic medication distribution system (being altered to maximize safety and efficiency using various technology and human resources), and maturing technology (of the computer system itself).
This position is also responsible for coordinating pharmacy staff input into system design and coordinating necessary decisions related to system operations within the pharmacy department.
This pharmacist will work with the various other Pharmacy IT team members to conduct workflow analysis of current practice, suggest practice improvement and standardization, advise on design flow for the components of the system, and review training materials for the implementation. This position is an independently functioning individual with knowledge in clinical process flow involving medications, computer support processes and operational pharmacy.
Clinical Pharmacy IT Practice Management
- Systems Adminstrator for all ambulatory IT pharmacy systems at URMC
- Subject matter expert for ambulatory pharmacy system datamart and reporting tools
- Partner with Department of Pharmacy leadership and other outpatient pharmacy supervising pharmacists to optimize the use of pharmacy systems.
- Participates in interdisciplinary and process improvement teams to identify potential future uses of the information systems and potential improvements in the current use of the systems. Serves as a pharmacy informatics resource to individuals and teams throughout the facility.
Clinical Pharmacy IT Project Management
- Works with the Pharmacy management team on pharmacy IT strategic planning.Develops and communicates project plans to pharmacy staff.
- Responsible for maintaining communication between pharmacy departments and ISD to provide updates and information regarding technology issues related to medication management.
- Oversees the installation, implementation, maintenance and upgrade of pharmacy information and automation technology systems and pharmacy robot systems.
- Maintain knowledge of pharmacy applications and enhancements to maximize the department’s operations
- Responsible for defining and documenting pharmacy application testing requirements.
- Coordinates database development/updates, testing and maintenance for the pharmacy information systems.
- Helps with the development of Policies and Procedures for the use of the pharmacy information systems.Revises the policies and procedures yearly or as necessary.Develops and maintains detailed policies on down-time procedures.
- Trouble shoots operational issues and problems with the pharmacy applications.Communicates and coordinates problem solving with appropriate internal and external sources.
- Reviews interface error transactions logs on a routine basis.Takes immediate action to resolve any problems.
- Contacts appropriate individuals or assistance when solution is beyond his/her expertise or authority.
- Thoroughly resolves problems with appropriate communication to all pertinent staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Advises pharmacy management on impact of information/automation system issues on patient care and department operations.
- Coordinates ongoing assessment of hardware needs to assure maximum benefit of the systems.
Additional duties as may be required
May maintain a staffing component (4-8 hrs per week) to compliment the pharmacy IT needs.
Bachelor of Pharmacy degree with 5 years’ experience OR Doctor of Pharmacy Degree with 3 years’ experience. Residency experience preferred. New York State Pharmacy License (or eligibility), experience in pharmacy information systems applications. Previous experience including end user and outpatient pharmacy systems and with an EMR or EPIC.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Pharmacist, Ambulatory Rx IT Manager
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202074
Full/Part Time: Full-Time