University of Rochester Outpatient Access Specialist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 007 CVSL RCPG & Cardiac Rehab
8 AM-4:30 PM
This position serves as the Vascular and Cardiac Rehabilitation patient population and referring physicians, combining reception, registration, and scheduling duties at the Canal View Office. It reports to the Vascular Lead Outpatient Access Specialist and takes directions from the Cardiac Rehabilitation Office Manager. The position is the ‘face’ of our program and practice activities. The candidate must present an image that deserves respect and obtains required cooperation from providers, patients, and referring physicians. The candidate must possess excellent communication skills and exercise independent judgement and initiative in registering, scheduling, and communicating with patients. This position requires attention to detail, the ability to prioritize tasks, the ability to type accurately, and a familiarity and comfortability in working with computers. The candidate must be able to work independently and perform routine and non-routine clerical duties of a specialized nature in an extremely busy environment.
Greet, Register, and Schedule Patients for a Busy Consultation Practice:
- Greet patients who are reporting for clinical visits and procedures. In a confidential and professional manner, confirm demographic and insurance information for entry into the hospital-wide, computerized registration software system. Evaluate acquired information for completeness and accuracy.
- Provide HIPAA confidentiality policy to patients, and obtain documentation and signature.
- Coordinate and review data with billing staff to ensure data is sufficient for their needs.
- Collect encounter forms from patients exiting clinic. Check for completeness and accuracy, and communicate any discrepancies back to provider for clarification.
- Schedule procedures, follow-up appointments, and ancillary tests with input from physicians and other healthcare personnel.
- Collect co-pays, and maintain receipt information, cash pick-up, and delivery daily.
- Collate encounter forms daily and deliver to billing office.
- Provide patients and healthcare personnel with procedure descriptions and special instructions.
- Answer questions posed by patients, and determine which questions should be addressed by physicians or other healthcare providers.
Phones and Appointment Scheduling:
- Assess and triage incoming calls by evaluating patient concerns and referring to physicians or other healthcare personnel to address.
- Respond to callers independently, and follow-up to ensure all requests are handled in a timely fashion.
- Use knowledge of complicated and ever-changing physician schedules to enter appointments for each of the providers.
- Determine physician availability, and evaluate patients who have not been referred to a specific individual.
- Gather pertinent medical and accurate billing information at the time of scheduling (from the patient, referring physician, and other healthcare professionals).
- Project a professional image to allow collection of accurate and complete medical information, while maintaining patient confidentiality issues.
- Communicate medical information and messages to patients and other callers as directed by physicians, nurses, and administrative staff.
Scheduling and Billing Confirmation, and Report Generation:
- Review all provider schedules in advance of clinic date to verify accuracy. Rectify any errors that may have occurred.
- Create updated schedules on a daily basis to reflect add-ons and walk-ins. Communicate changes to secretaries, physicians, and off-site service areas as necessary.
- Call each patient two days prior to appointment as a reminder of the date, time, and location of appointment.
- Sort and mail appointment confirmation letters.
Cross-coverage and other duties as assigned.
High school diploma and 2.5 years of work-related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Medical terminology knowledge and experience with Flowcast, EPIC, or other EMR desired.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Outpatient Access Specialist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202152
Full/Part Time: Full-Time