University of Rochester Outpatient Access Specialist in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 007 CVSL Outpatient ACG & CC
*Position Summary: *
The candidate must present an image that deserves respect and obtains required cooperation from providers, patients and referring physicians. The candidate must possess excellent communication skills and exercise independent judgment in registering, scheduling and communicating with patients. The position requires attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and multitask, to type accurately, and be familiar and comfortable working with computers. The candidate must be able to work independently, and perform routine and non-routine clerical duties of a specialized nature in an extremely busy environment.
- Schedules, confirms and registers all testing appointments for Echocardiogrpahy and Cardiology Nuclear (mobile and hospital inpatients and out patients). Must possess the ability to determine scheduling priorities based on diagnostic information provided. Prepares paperwork for the following day.
- Greets patients in a confidential and professional manner.Registers patients demographic information into the hospital Flowcast/IDX system/Cupid. Evaluates acquired patient information for completeness and accuracy.
- Coordinates transportation for in-patients with our assigned transporter. Arranges transportation for patients scheduled for echocardiograms from outside hospitals and nursing homes.
- Solves routine scheduling conflicts and brings non-routine problems to the attention of the Lab Supervisor or designee. Ensures smooth patient flow through the echo lab.
- Create updated schedules on a daily basis to reflect add-ons and walk-ins. Communicate schedule changes to Lab Supervisors, secretaries, physicians and off-site service area as necessary.
- Collect co-pays as needed, maintain receipt information, deliver co-pays daily to Cashier’s Office.
- Provide patients and health care personnel with procedure descriptions and special instructions as necessary. Must answer the phone politely and professionally at all times.Must possess the ability to provide answers to questions asked by patients, and to determine which questions should appropriately be addressed by physicians, echo nurses or other health care personnel.
- Phones reports to the physicians when requested.
- Ensures proper phone coverage during regular working hours.
- Compiles patient records for physician review. Maintains all patient echocardiographic records.Files hard copy of Echo reports & Stress Echo EKG tracings.
- Electronically FAXes, manually FAXes or mails formal reports in keeping with established lab protocols; 100% compliance.
- Needs to be proficient in copying CD’s per request.
- Obtains and documents appropriate diagnosis and CPT codes and enters into the database.
- Is responsible for coordinating and maintaining billing information, including transfer of echo/nuclear bills to the billing office on a daily basis.
- Review with billing staff to insure data is sufficient for their needs.
- Maintains billing records and checks billing batches for accuracy.Solves billing problems under direction of Administrator or Lab Supervisor.
- Comply with lab policies established by the lab director/administrator, in regard to clerical functions and filing systems.
- Will provide clerical assistance to the administrator, such as: distribution of biweekly timesheets to lab and TMS staff; participation in marketing efforts, compilation of promotional materials, scheduling meetings of lab management, outside physicians and administrators, assembling information and drafting routine and non-routine correspondence.
High School diploma and 2.5 years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer AAS in Secretarial Science with two to three years related experience required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with PC/Macintosh computers and Medical Terminology required. Familiarity with MS Office, Excel/database and Flowcast/IDX preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Outpatient Access Specialist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 201779
Full/Part Time: TAR