University of Rochester Mgr Patient Svcs, SMH/URMFG in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 055 URMFG Business Office
8 AM-5 PM
Under general direction of Strong Memorial Hospital (SMH) and University of Rochester Medical Faculty Group (URMFG) leadership and with significant latitude for independent judgment, the Patient Services Manager is responsible for the administrative management of their customer service programs. The Manager directs supervision, guidance and coordination of the day to day activities of the team of staff responsible for patient inquiries and self pay collections processes for both SMH and URMFG. Develops policies and procedures that will assure standardization and compliance, will seek to continually improve service to both the institution and the patient. Develops goals and objectives for staff, and ensures ongoing accountability. Serves as a liaison between functional area/department and other Hospital and Faculty Practice departments to resolve complex problems or in significant or sensitive service recovery situations.
Under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment:
- Maintains responsibility for ensuring positive patient relationships with URMFG and SMH in matters relating to customer service, self pay billing and collections processes.Acts as liaison between functional area/department and other Hospital and Faculty Practice departments to resolve complex problems or in significant or sensitive service recovery situations.Develops reports, analyses and communication protocols to ensure results are thoroughly analyzed, communicated and appropriate follow up is completed. Meets with Medical Center leadership on a routine basis, providing advice/consultative services in matters relating to patient services and overall patient satisfaction.
- Coordinates activities with the area Supervisor and Lead staff, directs the day to day activities of the Patient Services, Charity Care, and Self Pay Operations functional areas within the patient services group. Monitors quality of work to ensure ongoing educational opportunities are available for staff, related to system, processes, outcomes, and customer service. Responsible for evaluation, wage & salary recommendations and other personnel actions for assigned staff.
- Develops and executes strategic plans to facilitate program development and process improvement. Promulgates consistent operating policies and procedures for functional area.Serves as the project leader in the development and implementation of new programs and/or initiatives relating to functional areas.Evaluates new programs for feasibility and existing programs for continued viability.
- Establishes metrics to measure internal controls and quality assurance measures designed to ensure call center staff, self pay collectors, and the charity care officers provide the highest level of quality service to patients.Guides internal staff and Hospital/URMFG department management in the proper implementation of customer services and collections policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with departmental Billing Managers, Quality Officers for SMH, PAO, URMFG to proactively identify opportunities for operational improvements in the patient billing and collections cycle. Consistent goal is to improve SMH and URMFG customer service, receivables and maximize revenue opportunity.Serves as main contact with internal/external auditors in relation to self pay and collection processes and with an external vendor that creates patient statements.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with credit bureaus/collection agencies and Early Out agencies. Regularly reviews agency results and ensures URMC’s revenue recovery is maximized. Ensures accounts placed with agencies are effectively managed and that agencies are performing within URMC’s standard of customer service. Works with vendors to ensure commission rates are favorable to URMC. Independently makes changes to account distribution across vendors.
- Represents department on various internal and external committees.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Health Care Administration or related field
- 3-5 years’ experience in health care and supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work in a team setting with all levels of management and staff
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Mgr Patient Svcs, SMH/URMFG
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 201430
Full/Part Time: Full-Time