University of Rochester Medical Technologist II in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 Immunocytochemistry
The technologist plans and performs all clinical in situ hybridization staining requests. Will also perform in situ hybridization, immunohistochemical, and immunofluorescent staining on research slides as needed. Knowledge of cell morphology and familiarity with correct antibody staining patterns is required to adequately troubleshoot staining problems. Daily decisions regarding workload are required to maximize efficiency and turnaround time. Record keeping skills and organizational abilities are required to document staining methods and maintain quality assurance within the lab. Knowledge of CAP, NYS and JCAHO regulations is helpful. May be required to instruct new staff, students, or other department staff on procedures in the lab.
- Oversee the in situ hybridization staining within the IHC laboratory. Set up, prepared, and perform requested stains according to standard operating procedure outlined in the IHC laboratory manual.
- Set up and make Tissue Microarray blocks for clinical controls and research purposes.
- Maintain records of research staining protocols and billing information.
- Maintain stock of in situ supplies and alert supervisor when new stock is needed. Maintain records of daily staining.
- Perform quality assurance on new in situ probes as they arrive. Help work up new antibodies for clinical and research applications.
- Stock lab and make bulk fluids as needed.
- Assist full time staff with clinical staining requests using the automated machines located in the laboratory.
A 4 year college education, including related laboratory and/or technical training with certification by the registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, or other nationally recognized professional certifying body; or a 4 year college education in an appropriate science and 2 years of closely related laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Prefer BS degree in laboratory sciences or HT/HTL certified plus 5 years technical laboratory experience. Must have immunohistochemistry experience. Must be NYS licensed.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Technologist II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 203002
Full/Part Time: Full-Time