University of Rochester Medical Lab Technician, UHS in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 092 University Health Service
8 AM-5 PM
Coordinates all aspects of diagnostic laboratory practice at UHS, including phlebotomy, waived testing, logging, transport, and tracking of specimens and results ordered by UHS Providers. Performs and reviews quality control and proficiency testing. Educates performers of waived tests and monitors work to assure competency. Assures compliance with NYSDOH and JC regulations and standards. Follows all infection control, HIPAA and emergency management policies and procedures. Excellent patient rapport and customer service. Promotes laboratory service coverage through teamwork and good communication skills.
Specific Responsibilities:Under general direction but with latitude for independent judgment:
- Collects blood specimens for clinical laboratory testing, by venipuncture and fingerstick, with excellent customer service skills, including associated paperwork and/or computer order entry and review. Performs all UHS laboratory tests.
- Tracks, receives, documents and distributes all test results. Analyzes for criticality, bringing urgent information to provider attention promptly.
- Performs and reviews tests of quality assurance including daily QC, instrument calibration, and proficiency testing. Participates in continuous performance improvement activities.
- Trains staff members and manages competency assessment of performance of waived laboratory testing and specimen collection.
- Manages system for storage and transport of blood, culture, and other diagnostic test specimens, including forensic specimen chain of custody.
- Develops and maintains laboratory policies and procedures, test documentation, status follow-up and related communication, reagent and materials testing and stocking, and routine lab environmental maintenance.
- Manages laboratory accreditation and inspection readiness activities, including routine safety review.
- Coordinates and presents lab-related educational programs for faculty and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science, MLT(ASCP) certification, CPR certification and NYS Licensure required. Two years’ general laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent phlebotomy and customer service skills required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Lab Technician, UHS
Location: Central Admin-Provost Office
Job ID: 201501
Full/Part Time: Full-Time