University of Rochester Med Technologist-Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 097 Regional Toxicology
EXACT HOURS TO BE DETERMINED; ROTATING HOLIDAYS AND WEEKENDS
The Technologist is responsible for the timely and accurate processing and reporting of laboratory results for RTL forensic and clinical samples, maintenance and troubleshooting of the analyzers (GCMS, LCMS, HPLC, REMEDi, etc.), development of new procedures, update procedures/SOP, training of other technologists on various assignments, inventory of supplies and reagents, and sign-out as needed. He/she is also responsible for the performance of all the duties of a Clinical Technologist IV as needed. The Technical Specialist needs to be able to work independently, exercise good judgment, and act as assistant supervisor in the absence of the Toxicology Supervisor. Due to the nature of the testing done by Toxicology (i.e. forensic, transplant), the department strives for a zero error rate.
- Develops new assays and improves current procedures/methods
- Trains other technologists as necessary
- Responsible for the maintenance and troubleshooting of the Analyzers.
- Responsible for maintaining assays and performing calibration verification, linearities, interferences as necessary.
- Ensure proficiency reports are completed and reported on time.
- Responsible for inventory
- Sign out forensic and clinical results if qualified by NYS criteria
- Perform the duties of a Clinical Technologist IV as necessary
- Perform the duties of assistant supervisor of Toxicology, if qualified by NYS criteria, as necessary
- Perform extra duties/projects as needed.
- Ensure the safety of the laboratory and the techs are met.
- Update procedures as necessary.
- Punctuality and good attendance record.
- Adherence to all University, Division and Department policies.
- Professional discretion with confidential patient results.
- Adherence to all laboratory safety procedures.
- Participation in continuing education/knowledge
Key Characteristics of Toxicology Technologist
- Ability to exercise good judgment.
- Good attention to details.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to be organized.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to use good time management.
- Ability to plan, execute and present work-up data for new procedures.
- Minimum error rate.
- Ability to retain information/knowledge to be used at a later time as necessary.
- Willingness to perform ‘extra’ duties/studies/experiments.
- Understanding and using analytical principles
- MS in Clinical Chemistry, Chemistry or related science and at least 3 years of relevant clinical laboratory experience.
- BS in Medical Technology and at least 6 years of relevant clinical laboratory experience
- BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Biology with at least 7 years of relevant clinical laboratory experience.
- AAS with a total of 90 credit hours (per NYS distribution requirements) and at least 7 year of relevant clinical laboratory experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience
Prior Job Experience/Education Preferred
- Experience/Education in toxicology
- Experience/Education with Analytical analyzers/analysis
- Experience/Education in Chemistry
- Majority of work: Monday – Friday day shift. (Hours flexible depending on assignments).
- Weekend and Holidays: Day shift coverage will be done on a rotational schedule.
- Call-in: Must be willing to participate in rotating call-in during off hours for stat urine drug screens and other stat testing.
- NYS License or Permit Required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Med Technologist-Spec
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202678
Full/Part Time: Full-Time