University of Rochester LPN, Primary Care in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 040 Roch Internal Medicine Assoc
Position Summary The LPN is a nonexempt position responsible for nursing care under the supervision of physicians and/or RN and within the appropriate scope of practice. Performs the functions associated with the clinical aspect of a patient visit in Primary Care. Direct patient care, documentation, administration of medications and injections, minor laboratory testing, and communication with patients, health care providers, pharmacies and fellow staff. Occasional evening and weekend work is possible.
Essential Job Functions Direct Patient Care:
- Escort patients to exam rooms.
- Review patient charts to anticipate health needs and organize flow.
- Obtain and record patient vital signs.
- Provide direct patient care services per scope of primary care practice.
- Perform required tests at the direction of the provider.
- Assist providers in performing exams, diagnostic procedures and treatments.
- Gather and relay instructions and information between providers, patients and families.
Administration of Medications and Injections:
- Provide basic care as ordered by providers. Administer medications and treatments as directed and per scope of practice guidelines including injections (allergy, immunizations, and therapeutic).
- Review medications at time of visit as directed by provider.
- Maintain inventory of and order medications and medical supplies.
- Return patient calls per direction of provider.
- Collect patient information and communicate with providers for direction.
- Work in tandem with secretaries to schedule office and referral appointments.
- Convey prior authorization/referral information to insurers.
- Perform quality assurance and CLIA waive testing as directed.
- Comply with all PCA policies and procedures.
- Comply with standard HIPAA, OSHA and JCAHO regulations.
- Promote wellness by providing materials and communicating physician advice/instructions.
- Provide patient education at the direction of the provider.
- Collect specimens for laboratory analysis and accurate recording of lab requisitions.
- Record and maintain appropriate laboratory logs.
- Document interventions, patient/family responses, medications dispensed/prescribed, and testing results in electronic medical records (EMR).
- Monitor and follow up on electronic messaging promptly and accurately with appropriate documentation.
Education: Fulfilled the requirements to be a Licensed Practical Nurse in New York State.
Experience: Minimum one year of LPN experience. Outpatient primary care and/or pediatric (if applicable) experience preferred.
License/Certification Required: New York State Licensed Practical Nurse. Current American Heart Association CPR and AED certification. Must successfully pass medication administration proficiency exam.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: LPN, Primary Care
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 197920
Full/Part Time: TAR