University of Rochester Licensed Practical Nurse in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 040 SON CNE Ctr Entrepreneurship
7:30 AM-4 PM
THIS IS A 10 MONTH POSITION BASED ON THE SCHOOL CALENDAR; NO SUMMERS
The general function of the LPN position is two-fold: to provide onsite management of individual patients that present to the health center with healthcare-related needs, and to provide direct medical assistance to the Nurse Practitioners. This position will also have an active role in marketing strategies and outreach to patients and parents at the School-based Health Center (SBHC). It will work under the general guidance and direction of the Program Manager and attending NP. Demonstrates ICARE* values in each of the major responsibilities.
Clinical Assistance to Nurse Practitioners:
- Referral and preparation of patients for evaluation by clinic providers.
- Obtain brief summary of patient’s illness or complaint and record it in the medical record.
- Provide first aid, such as washing minor cuts, applying Band-Aids and ace wraps, or providing ice packs as requested.
- Take temperature, height and weight, blood pressure, heart rate, and/or respiratory rate for patients prior to them being seen by the clinicians. Document all data in the medical record.
- Perform vision and hearing screens, a complete set of vital signs, and any ordered point-of-care testing to prepare patients for a complete physical examination visit.
- Disinfect all patient rooms, clinical equipment, and other areas, per protocol.
- Point-of-care laboratory testing and phlebotomy.
- Process lab specimens for pick-up by lab couriers.
- Send appointment reminders and track down patients who have missed appointments, or follow-up on specific patients as directed by clinic providers.
- Perform daily quality control measures for onsite lab tests per SMH policy.
- Administer medications, injections, and immunizations per provider orders.
- Provide patient and family education regarding medications and treatments.
- Manage incoming phone calls to health center.
- Make appointments for patients, as necessary.
- Maintain medical records, including scanning of records from outside sources.
- Manage population activities, including monitoring compliance with immunizations and annual physical exams.
- Order supplies to restock clinic and office equipment.
- Assist Front Office staff for smooth clinic operations, as necessary.
Community Outreach and Enrollment:
- Provide general information and answers questions when new patients present to the clinic.
- Enrollment of patients in Health Center as the opportunity presents onsite.
LPN licensure. Must have and maintain current CPR certification. Experience working with urban young and families, and in facilitating resource utilization for youth and their families preferred. Fluency in English required; fluency in Spanish desired. High degree of professionalism with excellent communication and strong customer service skills required. Demonstrate efficiency in prioritizing assignments; skill in proactively resolving problems, and recommending and implementing continuous quality improvements. Demonstrate skill and efficiency in Flowcase Web, e-Record, and OnBase preferred. Demonstrate efficiency and accuracy in prioritizing assignments, and skill in proactively resolving problems and meeting deadlines. Ability to work independently and with minimal direction. Efficient and effective multi-tasking skills. Ability to analyze, and interpret daily requests. Must have reliable transportation.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Licensed Practical Nurse
Location: School of Nursing
Job ID: 202167
Full/Part Time: Full-Time