University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Microbiology & Immunology M&D;
8:30 AM-5 PM; OCCAS WKENDS
A basic science laboratory in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology is seeking a Full-Time Lab Tech IV. Duties include general lab maintenance and conducting research focused on enhancing immune responses to tumors.
The individual will be responsible for general lab duties, including glassware washing, media preparation, ordering supplies, and maintaining various lab databases. The position also involves conducting experiments in numerous areas of lab research and working as a team member on different projects. Over time, the individual will develop more independence in planning and conducting experiments, and will be expected to plan and perform many experiments on an independent basis.
- Perform general lab duties as described above to support the continuing operation of the laboratory.Administrative duties will include maintaining supply inventories, regular maintenance of LN2 freezer stocks of cell lines, and overseeing of routine equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Construct plasmids for various purposes, including but not limited to protein production. Production of proteins will utilize various eukaryotic and bacterial expression systems. These proteins will be purified using biochemical approaches.Mammalian cell cultures will also be maintained for various experiments including protein production and use in vivo.
- The individual will also be involved in the analysis of immune responses to tumors. Duties will include analysis of cytokines using ELISA assays or Luminex assays or assisting in analysis using flow cytometry.
- This project involves work with mice to find effective ways to enhance immune responses. They will be responsible for ordering mice and maintaining animal colonies of mice. This also includes bleeding of mice and injecting mice with tumors and monitoring and measuring their growth. Willingness to work with mice is essential. Training will be provided.
- Prepare and present data at laboratory meetings. Assist with the preparation of manuscripts and preparing figures. Participate in scientific seminars.
Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 4-5 years specialized experience in related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer a college degree (B.S. or a B.A.), either awarded or expected this academic year in a related science field. Experience in, molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology or immunology techniques is desirable. Experience in computer programs such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word, or Prism is also desirable.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 201420
Full/Part Time: Full-Time