University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Surgery- Cancer Control
8 AM-5 PM; WKENDS; SUNDAY HOURS REQUIRED
This is a full time position in the Cancer Control and Psychoneuroimmunology Laboratory (CCPL) directed by Principal Investigator, Dr. Michelle Janelsins, of the Department of Surgery-Cancer Control. This position will be fulfilled by an experienced research technical professional who has biological technical expertise working with human samples and also significant technical management capabilities. The individual will work closely with the technical associate currently running the Biospecimen Lab and will be responsible for processing, according to standard operating procedures, biospecimens sent to and stored at the University of Rochester NCI Clinical Community Oncology Program (NCORP) Research Base which is overseen by CCPL PI. Additionally, the individual will be responsible for running Luminex and ELISA assays for the CCPL.
- Processing human biospecimens into a sophisticated biostorage system. This includes all procedures involved with the handling of human biospecimens from scanning and data entry to processing and storage of samples utilizing a sophisticated biobanking and cataloguing system among several -80C freezers and liquid nitrogen tanks.
- Updating databases associated with this system and working with IT staff to work on catalogue systems of biospecimens as well as generating all appropriate data reports, documenting data issues and providing biological data sets to research staff and investigators.
- Executing ELISA and Luminex assays of serum and plasma.
- Scanning and checking in all biological data, checking for missing data, and working with NCORP research staff to submit queries for missing data or samples in order to clarify and correct any issues.
The individual must be independent and work well as part of a team environment, be able to complete project tasks in a timely manner as requested, be detail-oriented and very organized, and demonstrate the ability to interact in a professional manner in both verbal and written communications. The individual must have experience with human biospecimens (serum, plasma and whole blood) and be able to manage a large collection of biospecimens. The individual will also be part of working on standard operational procedures and documents of good clinical laboratory practices for the lab, as well as other report documents as needed.
General Laboratory Responsibilities and Information/Data Management:
- Manages biospecimen collection and freezer storage of human tissues (e.g. tissue biopsies/specimens, serum, whole blood, saliva, etc.)
- Works with Freezerworks catalouging system.
- Works with computer software (Office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, GraphPad, SPSS, etc) to prepare reports and presentations.
- Attends and participates in lab meetings and other research meetings.
Associate’s degree in biology or other related field is required and a minimum of 4-5 years’ experience with established proficiency in several of the specific duties mentioned above. The individual must have experience working in a BSL-2 laboratory with human biospecimens.
Applicants should be organized, self-motivated and capable of working independently but also in a collaborative setting. The successful candidate will possess the ability to readily learn new techniques and procedures. Strong analytical, communication, organizational and computer skills are also required. Must have reliable/efficient transportation.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 201818
Full/Part Time: Full-Time