University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Dept of Biomedical Genetics
8 AM-4:30 PM; SOME WKENDS
THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF 12 MONTHS FROM HIRE.
Plan and perform a variety of moderately complex molecular biological and genetic experiments towards the understanding of the biological effects of signal transduction pathways that are changed during aging in Caenorhabditis elegans. Changing or adapting techniques and protocols to fit experimental need. Plan multiple experiments around time constraints. Duties will include laboratory experiments such as C. elegans lifespan studies, functional genomics, genetic crosses, microinjection, basic bacterial microbiology, fluorescent and light microscopy.
Position requires ability to perform multiple tasks on a daily basis, evidence of excellent organizational abilities, college training in genetics, cellular and molecular biology. Past familiarity with C. elegans is strongly desirable but not required.
- Perform experiments such analyzing GFP fluorescence in vivo or C. elegans survival, genetic modification of signaling pathways, analysis of signaling pathway function, maintenance of strains.
- Provide assistance and knowledge of techniques to incoming students.
- Extracting data, literature searches, from existing resources to come up with reasoning to interpret current problems in experiments.Other tasks assigned by the PI
- Use some theoretical knowledge to interpret data and to trouble-shoot experiments.Trouble shooting and fixing equipment malfunctions.Independence in problem solving is highly encouraged.
- Perform general laboratory duties such as preparing reagents and re-stocking supplies. Maintain laboratory chemicals and insures proper disposal.Helps to insure laboratory compliance for safety and fire inspections.
- Participate in program seminars and enrichments activities.Prepare data for presentations at laboratory meetings.
Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Prefer Bachelor’s degree in appropriate discipline plus at least one year of post-graduate experience in related work; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 202050
Full/Part Time: Full-Time