University of Rochester Lab Clinical Supt Tech III in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 092 Tissue Typing - Clin Labs SMH
EXACT HOURS TO BE DETERMINED; DAY SHIFT
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the section Supervisor, the Lab Clinical Support Tech III will perform HLA related non-technical, pre and post analytical support activities such as specimen management, quality assurance, document management, administrative support, and general laboratory maintenance/inventory coordination. Exercises independent judgement and problem solving skills. Serves as a primary resource to physicians, nurses, and other laboratory personnel regarding specimen handling and processing.
Lab (Technical) Support
- Assists technologies in the pre-analytical handling and processing of specimens which may include centrifugation, aliquoting, and storing of samples.
- Maintains all equipment and environmental temperature and duty charts. Monitor water quality. Conducts initial assessment and works with technical team and Supervisor to troubleshoot out of range conditions and documents all corrective actions.
- Participates in quality monitors and initiatives. Compiles data and performs internal quality checks to facilitate smooth and accurate operations.
- Performs equipment maintenance and quality control. Stocks reagents.
- Ensures cleanliness of laboratory and glassware.
- Receives and/or collects specimens from all locations via couriers or pneumatic tube station.
- Tracks and documents receipt of specimens. Tracks missing specimens.
- Uses advanced knowledge of specimen requirements and stability and knowledge of test menu to prioritize handling of stat/urgent specimens and those needing special handing.
- Takes appropriate action to ensure specimen integrity whenever testing may be delayed.
- Works with a variety of health care providers to troubleshoot problem specimens and to clarify correct test selection. Provides problem resolution for sample handling: missing information, split samples, sample retrievals, misdirected samples, and requests for additional samples. Independently follows up on all problems and discrepancies as needed.
- Answers questions from specimen collection locations regarding transport and minimum volumes.
- Informs ordering providers when the ordered test(s) cannot be performed and works to remedy this situation whenever possible.
- Prepares specimens for transport to specialized areas of testing (i.e. specialty labs, reference lab).
- Manages sample archive storage system and specimen disposal as specified by laboratory storage guidelines.
- Receives incoming telephone calls and triages calls to appropriate laboratory as necessary. Manages requests for faxed results and provides specimen requirements and stability information. Provides results to physician offices and health centers as necessary.
- Takes appropriate action as needed to meet the customer’s request, including test request add-on’s and proper transfer of calls to other destinations as needed.
- Scans requisitions into the scanning system confirming readability and keywords.
- Participates in Quality Assurance data collection as required.
- Manages inventory and performs purchasing functions.
- Performs routine reviews of UNOS and donor lists. Performs tracking for billing purposes.
- Provides general administrative support for needs such as facility requests, mail, file management, and specimen mailers.
Performs other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
A 4 year college education which included Laboratory Sciences and technical training closely related to this position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required; or a 2 year college education leading to an Associate degree in Laboratory Sciences and/or related technical subjects and 2 years of directly related experience.
Customer Service experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy/physiology a plus.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Lab Clinical Supt Tech III
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 201479
Full/Part Time: Full-Time