University of Rochester Financial Counselor in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 008 Psychiatry SMH Strong Ties
8 AM-4:30 PM; WKENDS AS NEEDED
Performs the functions of patient account management for patients seen in Psychiatry Ambulatory services. Completes the tasks of insurance verification, monitoring of accounts, and answering questions on insurance status. Acts as liaison between patients, insurance companies, PAO, and clinical staff to resolve billing problems and patient concerns. Assists in directing intake activities for the Clinical Coordinating Center. Subscribes to the Department’s goal of creating a culturally competent environment by treating patient’s families, trainees, research subjects, and co-workers in a sensitive and caring manner with appropriate attention to cultural differences. Participates in available cultural competence events and trainings.
- Act as liaison with therapist and the Credit Department to ensure that patients are informed in accordance with hospital financial policies.
- Liaison between patient’s insurance companies, PAO, Credit Department, and clinical staff to resolve billing problems, patient concerns, and clinician intervention.
- Account follow-up for error correction, including adding or deleting charges, writes-offs, rebilling, reopen accounts, and justification correspondence related to the treatment summaries.
- Conduct phone fee interviews and explain insurance benefits for all Ambulatory patients. Interview patient prior to initial evaluation, via phone call.
- Obtain required registration information and required statistical and demographic information for the Department database.
- Assess patient income and establish fees.
- Initiate appropriate contact with third party payers to verify insurance benefits of patients.
- Document information in an accurate and timely manner in the hospital computer system.
- Obtain any signatures required to obtain verification and secure benefits.
- Maintain a monitoring system on benefits, including fee changes, adding/deleting insurance plans, calculating deductibles, tracking Medicaid spend downs, and alerting Financial Case Management.
- Modify accounts to reflect most current updated insurances.
- Assess for charity care as needed; send out acceptance and denial letters, and maintain spreadsheet.
Other duties as assigned.
High school graduate with four years of experience in patient accounts or related area; or a Bachelor of Science with at least one year of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Financial Counselor
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202703
Full/Part Time: Full-Time