University of Rochester Family Advocate in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Psychiatry SMH Addiction Psych
8 AM-4:30 PM; WKENDS AS NEEDED
With some latitude, this position works in the community setting and emergency department setting under the direction of the clinical staff that has the overall responsibility for the clients’ safety and treatment. The focus of this position is to provide services that empower the parent/guardian of individuals who are in a mental health crisis. The position provides mentorship and guidance to the family.
- Work collaboratively as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Respond by phone and in the community (homes, schools) to crisis calls, and offer support, mentorship, and guidance.
- Provide referral and linkage to relevant community resources.
- Have working knowledge of and access to all available community-based resources that may be supportive to the family.
- Assist family in identifying psychiatric symptoms and warning signs experiences by the client.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a crisis plan by collaborating with the team.
- Teach and model self-help techniques/skills.
- Teach and model positive parenting strategies.
- Maintain timely progress notes.
- Alert the clinical team of any lethality issues.
- Support agencies’ policies and procedures.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Support and encourage parent/guardian to advocate for their child’s needs.
- Follow up with area Emergency Department referrals.
- Provide short term intervention to families.
- Instrumental in completing provider satisfaction surveys.
Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Two years of active participation as a family advocate preferred. Personal experience with children with mental health needs strongly preferred. Willingness and availability to work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and evenings. Ability to verbally engage and empathize with clients based on common experiences preferred. Ability to teach skills to individuals. Current parent Empowerment (PEP) training certification or willingness to obtain certification.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Family Advocate
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202661
Full/Part Time: Full-Time