University of Rochester EPIC Principal Trainer-Prelude in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 055 Info Systems SMH
8 AM-5 PM
THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF 3/31/18.
Serves as enterprise-wide expert, Principal Trainer, resource, and lead member to the eRecords/ePARC Project and Epic user community. Supports Training Program and its Managers and Director in all instructional design areas.
Recommends, plans, designs, executes, and evaluates instructional design based on clinical and/or financial and administrative information applications, data and technology systems, specifics to the various projects and related role-based workflow processes throughout the URMC enterprise (Highland Hospital, Strong Hospital, FFT, URMFG ambulatory, regionally-affiliated clinics, and the URMC Research Community).
Manages instructional design and Super User Program activities based on a project work plan that involves a high degree of complexity. Manages multiple instructional design projects in pre-live, go-live, and post-live phases of the application implementation. Works with various managers, clinical Informaticists, Training Manager/Director, credentialed trainers, LMS/e-Learning developer, and other departmental staff for integrated project planning and direction setting.
Works with technical staff and managers to identify requirements; facilitates and implements changes in Instructional Design, Training Environments, and Super User Program of the Epic Training Program, implementing LEAN operational training design improvements. Provides day-to-day expert clinical and/or financial, administrative information systems, and instructional design coordination, and support to Director, Managers, Credentialed Trainers and staff. Employs analytical and project management skills to identify and clarify requirements, and develops appropriate instructional design strategies. Able to evaluate appropriateness of various, proposed solutions.
Supports the Training Managers and Director through the coordination of the credentialing process for expert-level classroom instruction and Super User programs.
Provides analytical, administrative, and procedural assistance for identification of instructional design requirements, enhancements, and setup decisions. Functions as a liaison and coordinator between technical team, credentialed trainers, super users, department managers, LMS, and EPIC on all instructional design. Works with technical staff and managers to identify requirements, facilitate, and implement changes in instructional design training environments. Provides in-depth analysis of requirements, and develops functional specifications as part of the process to solve the enterprise users’ needs. Propose, document, and manage procedures and instructional design training plans.
Under the general direction of the Manager and Director, conforming to URMC policies but retaining latitude for independent judgment and initiative:
- Technical Instructional Design Management
- Develops and manages instructional design tasks and administrative aspects of training project and task management, routinely updating project plans and other documentation. Monitors the operational workflow impact of instructional design solutions; may recommend and assist with changes in operational processes related to training programs and learning management systems.
- Anticipates problems, formulates contingency plans or solutions as a project team member, and understands when and how to escalate issues. Benchmark with other Epic customers.
- Evaluates and recommends instructional design aspects of training project; working with other ISD and Epic team members, managers, and director as necessary.
- Reviews, finalizes, and ensures the documentation is complete for ISD procedures and systems summaries, downtime procedures for departmental operations, and associated downstream systems.
- Creates, coordinates, and leads credentialing process for eRecord/ePARC class instructors for each course.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge and current certifications of the Epic applications assigned, and any related acute and ambulatory workflows and related operational processes.
- Defines tasks, determines scope of modifications, and communicates requirements for upgrades and/or modifications to software applications, training environment design/build, and interfaces which will require training, and identifies the best fit instructional design solution based on the identified needs.
- Establishes effective working relationships with technical personnel at URMC, vendors, and other internal groups involved in Epic Training Environments, and related analysis, planning, and implementation.
- Works closely with the Managers and Director to coordinate the activities of the training team, including assigning and monitoring project tasks, resources, and priorities. Gives input on staff development plans related to classroom instruction performance based on credentialing rubrics, Super User, and other training program activities to Training Managers.
- Serves as the focal point of training instructional design in an environment characterized by complex operational impact. Uses well-developed administrative, analytical, and service skills with experience to seek solutions for improving training programs and practices.
- Provides on-call support of training instructional design and its administration as scheduled. Troubleshoots problems received from customer base and responds within timeframe based on level of priority.
- Organizes and conducts training workshops, webinars, video-conferences, meetings with Super User, providers, trainers, project team, and other groups. Monitors progress and provides updates and reports to the Training Managers and Director, and to eRecords/ePARC Managers and/or teams.
- Consulting – Analysis
- Participates in the evaluation, design, facilitation, implementation, and ongoing support of the training program efficiency workshops, webinars, efficiency consultation, and outreach programs.
- Defines, develops, and documents the necessary conceptual design and detail design of subprojects such as Efficiency Workshops and training reporting as needed.
- Manages Quality Assurance process for all instructional design. Monitors training content and design effectiveness, and researches any inconsistencies in outcomes using QA methodology such as PSDA to continually improve the instructional design’s effectiveness and its ability to remain ‘LEAN.’
- Develops processes and procedures to manage consulting services for post-live optimization use of the Epic solution.
- Coordinates training instructional design for ‘Train the Trainer,’ Super Users, and Help Desk training programs.
- Coordinate the marketing strategies with Web Services to promote the training instructional design, including use of the Resource Library and Training websites.
- Coordinates instructional design feedback, and QA tracking and follow-up.
- Keeps Application Coordinators, Clinical Informaticists, Builders, and Super Users informed about instructional design programs before and after go-live.
- Coordinates design for upgrade and New Hire training as needed.
- Coordinates the functional and operational implementation of the instructional design in the Learning Management System.
- Day-to-day role of Epic instructional design and workflow expert for all credentialed trainers, and ad hoc for URMC-wide initiatives such as Joint Commission, NYS regulations, and other needs.
- Serves on committees and attends meetings as requested.
- Follows all ISD administrative standards, such as timely timesheet preparations, completing time away requests, completing annual, mandatory educational requirements, etc.
- Adheres and subscribes to the URMC and ISD values as found in the Values Statement.
Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred), preferably in Training and Adult Education, Computer Science, or Health- or Business-related studies, and 4-5 years of related experience – preferably 2-3 years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a healthcare setting, preferably in a clinical or financial role, within the URMC enterprise or equivalent preferred. Effective and excellent written and verbal communications with follow-up skills. Strong attention to detail and critical thinking skills with the ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems. Detail-oriented and a knack for probing for information to fully understand the underlying needs of the organization and user community. Excellent customer service skills. Project management and coordination experience preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: EPIC Principal Trainer-Prelude
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 201990
Full/Part Time: Full-Time