University of Rochester Dir Univ Benefits in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 057 Ofc Hum Resources-Benefits
Reporting directly to the Senior Director, Total Rewards, the Director, Benefits is responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership for the University Benefits Office. The Director will collaborate with the Senior Director, Total Rewards and the Director, Compensation to progress strategic priorities of Total Rewards.
The Director develops, implements, communicates and administers the University Benefits Program for faculty, staff and retirees in order to recruit, retain and reward a qualified and diverse workforce. The Director will support the overall Human Resources Mission and Vision of DARE (Develop, Attract, Retain, Engage) and becoming an Employer of Choice/Great Place to Work (GPTW) through innovative and comprehensive benefits programs designed to meet the needs of faculty and staff across the entire University.
The Director also is part of the wider Human Resources and University communities and collaborates closely with a variety of Offices and groups across the University and broader community to accomplish Staff Diversity & Community Engagement goals.
- Leads efforts to assess Benefits-related needs at a systemic, strategic level; partnering with a variety of HR and University leaders and groups to do so. Develops strategic recommendations and business cases, including financial implication, to address Benefits needs.
- Based on University needs and environmental factors, sets the vision and philosophy for benefits as a part of Total Rewards at the University; progresses the vision through engaging and inspiring University and HR leadership, the Total Rewards and HR teams, and others as appropriate. Develops consistent branding and messaging of Total Rewards. Collaborates with Director of Compensation and others to ensure consistent messaging of Total Rewards.
- Develops and implements a Benefits strategy, and programs and processes that further the HR mission and vision of DARE and becoming a GPTW, as well as being based on regulatory requirements, the needs of various University departments and stakeholders, industry best practices, and market and financial considerations .
- Continuously improves Benefits programs and processes based on organizational and regulatory requirements, market demands, industry and best practices, and other opportunities.
- Leads the Benefits team: ensuring effective team structure and processes are in place; supporting staff development; and leading and inspiring the team.
- Oversees project management of multiple large-scale, complex Benefits-related initiatives as part of the Total Reward organization.
- Provides leadership, oversight and counsel to ensure the University is in compliance with ERISA, HIPAA and other state and federal regulations related to benefits and retirement programs.
- Provides leadership and counsel in the area of Executive Compensation, as part of Total Rewards, in both University and Medical Center environments.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources of Business Administration; Master's Degree preferred.
- 5-7+ years progressive Benefits experience, encompassing various aspects of the Benefits function.
- Proficient in interpreting and applying Benefits-related legislation.
- Strategic, systems-thinker.
- Demonstrated success leading complex, large-scale change initiatives. Excellent project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build relationships across multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent negotiating skills, with ability to build consensus in challenging circumstances
- Experience interpersonal skills, including ability to interact effectively with all levels of University leadership, management, and staff.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and judgment skills required.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills. Proficiency in building business cases.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a high-performing team, and to manage an extended (indirect) team through influence.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Dir Univ Benefits
Location: Central Administration
Job ID: 202686
Full/Part Time: Full-Time