University of Rochester Co-op Student/Intern in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 074 SON Staff/Research Programs
8 AM-5 PM
The purpose of this position is to support research programs of a primary investigator (PI) in the School of Nursing which are in collaboration with the School of Engineering and School of Medicine. The goal of research studies is to establish independent predictors prior to cardiac arrest.
Under the general guidance and supervision of the PI and occasional consultation with the School of Engineering with latitude for exercising independent technical judgment, within policy and approved protocols, utilize engineering and computational knowledge and skills to manage and analyze using multi-data sets in preparation of manuscripts and grant submissions to the National Institute of Health.
- Use computational software (e.g. write Matlab code) and programming skills to transform and convert electrocardiogram (ECG) papers into the digital ECG data. This requires analysis and refining of Matlab codes and making decisions on when to use different software to digitize the ECG paper for different subjects in research studies.
Process and quantify raw ECG data
- Use signal processing skills in order to process (e.g. filtering), describe (e.g. annotating) and quantify (measurements) ECG data.
- Perform ECG measurements and maintain accurate measurements from different segments of ECG.
- Create and maintain ECG databases that contain ECG measurements and detailed information of clinical significance prior to cardiac arrest.
- Apply basic techniques in machine learning (e.g. classification).
- Proactive in learning and keeping updated on new statistical software. Evaluate output for inconsistencies; identify solutions in accordance with study protocol consulting when appropriate with PI on resolutions. Create graphs and tables after data analysis is complete to summate findings. Assist PI with research presentations/manuscript preparation (e.g. abstract writing, poster presentations) and present in local, regional, and national meetings. This will support the final stages of research projects. There will be opportunities for presentations and publication(s) based on candidate’s motivation.
Bachelor’s degree in related field of assignment, plus 2 years of related experience. Enrollment in PhD program in engineering strongly preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Co-op Student/Intern
Location: School of Nursing
Job ID: 203603
Full/Part Time: Full-Time