University of Rochester Charge Entry Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 008 Psych SMH Ambulatory Reg
8 AM-4:30 PM; WKENDS AS NEEDED
Under minimal direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment, performs charge entry functions for rendered services from an inpatient or outpatient setting. Responsible for an effective claim submission process to obtain Maximum revenue collection.
- Enters charges timely and accurately in the applicable billing system based on type of service and location.Correctlyidentifiesdiagnosiscodesandchargesareappropriateforclaimstobe effectively released and submitted to the assigned insurance carrier(s).
- Creates batches from reports of closed encounter forms, charge sheets, etc. obtained from the electronic medical record (EMR). Verifies the accuracy and completeness of all information such as charge codes, diagnosis, modifiers, etc. Determines correct method of resolving discrepancies by utilizing internal and external resources.Collects missing data.
- Ensures all encounter forms are received by the Billing Office for charge entry. Verifies encounters received against the daily schedule and tracks missing encounters as well as encounters returned to a provider for missing information.
- Examines notes in the medical record in order to abstract medical information relevant to patient encounter to determine appropriateness of potential charge submissions.
- Collaborates with Patient Accounts staff assigned to collections activity on unpaid, underpaid or denied claims following processing by insurance carrier(s). Gathers relevant detail from patient encounter and provides input for resolution and collection of revenue.
- Balances batches entered to a deposit ticket prepared and balanced at the point of rendered service site for daily front end collections. Ensures monies received at time of service are properly recorded and balanced. Makes appropriate contact when discrepancies are discovered and facilitates resolution through follow up activities.
Associate's degree in Business Administration and 2 years of hospital patient accounting or consumer collections experience, or certification obtained from a nationally accredited billing program (i.e., Certified Medical Billing Specialist CMBS, Certified Medical Records Technician CMRT, Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist CMRS); or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to type 25 wpm. Prefer Medical Terminology and experience with billing, collection and electronic medical records and demonstrated customer service skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Charge Entry Spec
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 204412
Full/Part Time: Full-Time