University of Rochester Cardiovascular Perfusionist in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 094 CVSL Perfusion
Responsible for all aspects of cardiovascular perfusion during adult open heart surgery. Exercises a high degree of skill and judgment in operating and maintaining equipment and understanding principles and methodology of current perfusion techniques.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervision, Direction and Teamwork
- Works in conjunction with the surgeon and anesthesiologist to provide optimal care.
- Directs residents, interns and nursing personnel in the proper use of perfusion equipment in OR and ICU’s.
- Performs extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) and assists in the training of ECMO specialists.
Equipment Selection and Maintenance
- Chooses appropriate oxygenator and accessory equipment for each patient in accordance with current perfusion standards.
- Assembles, primes, re-circulates and completely inspects the integrity of the bypass circuit.
- Maintains proper sterile precaution during use of all equipment.
- Properly cleans and stores equipment after use.
- Performs preventive maintenance, calibration, quality assurance and cleaning of all equipment.
Care and Management during Surgery
- Provides extra-corporeal circulation for patients undergoing heart surgery procedures, receiving liver transplants, and in need of ECMO.
- Operate extracorporeal circulation equipment, and other heart and lung supportive decides to temporarily take over cardiopulmonary functions to facilitate open heart surgery.
- Assists the surgeon with a wide range of operative procedures as directed in the ICU with ECMO patients, Cath Lab with TAVI’s and the EP Lab for lead extractions.
- Attempts to maintain normal physiologic parameters according to current perfusion standards during bypass period.
- Assists other Perfusionists by transporting blood gas samples, performing appropriate clotting studies and administering cardioplegic solutions.
- Prepares specific pharmacologic agents during the bypass period.
- Performs veno-venous bypass for liver transplantation according to standards.
- Responsible for VAD transport.
- Performs internal and external ECMO transport.
- Assumes on-call duties.
Inventory and Record Keeping
- Inventories all items obtained from manufactures, hospital stores, and pharmacy.
- Inventories, maintains and prepares for implantation of allograft tissue.
- Maintains records of all procedures and ensures their proper placement in the patient’s chart and permanent perfusion record.
- Completes NHSN form and NYS/STS form.
Other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an approved program of Extracorporeal Technology and certification by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion. Must have excellent interpersonal and people management skills. Must pay attention to detail and have the ability to work long hours under extreme pressure. Current Lab licensure (Certified Lab Technician) or valid NYS perfusion permit.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Cardiovascular Perfusionist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 202679
Full/Part Time: TAR