University of Rochester Assistant to Executive Director in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Institute for Innovative Educ
With minimal direction and considerable latitude for independent judgement and initiative, performs routine and non-routine duties requiring highly advanced secretarial skills, for the Executive Director of the Institute for Innovative Education (IIE). Supports day-to-day operations and considerable departmental administrative details and duties for a team of 60 staff, requiring experience with policies, procedures, and practices of the University and department. This person serves as a first line resource for the IIE, and has frequent contacts with deans, directors, faculty members, students, other administrative staff and with external vendors, registrants, administrators and physicians. This position requires a courteous individual with superior secretarial, interpersonal and communication skills, who can maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
Provide administrative support to the Executive Director of the IIE, and Assistant Dean, whose multiple competing demands include teaching, research, and institutional leadership and administration.
- Manage calendar and email, answer telephones; schedule interviews and meetings; prepare correspondence and transcription using MS Word, and PowerPoint.
- Independently respond to difficult situations, highly-sensitive phone calls, high-level visitors, and other important, time-sensitive requests.
- Anticipate ED’s needs, particularly with respect to schedule and meetings.
- Compose, organize, maintain and file routine and highly confidential materials.
- Schedule and coordinate speaking engagements.
- Coordinate travel and accommodations for faculty and staff including meeting registration; prepare financial requisitions and reimbursement for faculty and staff.
- Ensure that meeting/lecture preparation time is built into Director’s schedule, and that agenda and handout materials are fully prepared in advance.
- Attend meetings as requested; provide support and serve as recording secretary; research, prepare, proof and distribute handouts and agendas in advance of meetings, obtain information, distribute minutes; monitor progress and follow up on action items as requested. Carry-out internet research and/or contact relevant departments to request information.
- Schedule and coordinate complex large group meetings, both on-site and off-site, for various stakeholders that often include URMC’s senior leadership and other high-profile individuals; proactively collaborate with various University offices to arrange and confirm scheduled appointments (attendees, locations, times, etc.); work with external vendors for supplemental services as needed (catering, parking, transportation, security, audiovisual, etc.), maintaining a strict budget.
- Assist with developing PowerPoint slides and poster presentations.
- Provide administrative support for sponsored projects and contracts, including signing of contracts, invoicing, managing ledger and contracts, providing deliverables, reporting on deliverables, etc.
- Use excellent problem solving-skills in processing administrative requests.
- Act as a steward to Department by maintaining the visual aesthetic of the office suite and facilitating replenishment of office supplies, timely repair of equipment, furniture, etc.
Support daily operations, and coordinate special projects and events for the Institute for Innovative Education
- Arrange departmental meetings and events, securing rooms, AV equipment, refreshments and other equipment as required.
- Provide support for, or coordinate, as needed, ad hoc projects in support of institutional priorities. Participate in planning meetings and exercise good judgment in sharing information as needed and ensuring security, integrity and confidentiality of information.
- Manage onsite logistics and independently troubleshoot to resolve potential issues for special events, staff meetings, retreats, and other activities on and off campus.Ensure staff/attendees have a positive experience by providing excellent customer service.
- Manage departmental administrative details, including telecommunications, signage, directories, equipment, facilities, IT.
- Complete requests for payment, travel and conference or expense reimbursements, 312-requisitions, grant petty cash reimbursements, etc.
- Initiate all procurement orders including University SOLO items.
- Provide cross-coverage for other support staff within the department.
- Act as courier for Division mail and Finance paperwork, hand deliver urgent items, distribute and receive mail to/from main mailroom, initiate FedEx mailings, as requested.
- Update departmental staff regarding announcements, deadlines, policy changes.
- Manage the Website and monitor web pages for content; identify and make required updates as needed across all IIE service lines.
- Coordinate content and distribution of the monthly IIE newsletter.
- Identify expenses and justify monthly department ledgers; analyze financial effectiveness of certain program areas within the department. Maintain some budgetary oversight for office expenses related to conference registrations, travel reimbursements, event expenses and department expenses for reimbursements.
All other duties as assigned.
Associates degree in office administration and at least 3 years of secretarial and office experience, including 1 year in a position which demonstrated the ability to work with minimum supervision and to direct an office operation; or equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires handling of highly sensitive, confidential material; it is imperative to maintain confidentiality at all times. Successful candidate needs to be multi-tasking, tactful, and cross-culturally sensitive. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills required. Ability to make independent judgments with minimal supervision required. Proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required. Willingness to learn and operate in multiple event management software systems.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Assistant to Executive Director
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 202033
Full/Part Time: Full-Time