University of Rochester Ambulatory Technologist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 090 Psychiatry M&D; Research
8 AM-4:30 PM
Under general direction from Nurses and Administrator, assists nurses and providers during exams. This position is within our Alzheimer's Disease Care, Research and Education Program. This position will room the patient (research subject), complete vitals, do medicine reconciliation and draw blood as needed. This position also will perform procedures needed, i.e. ECG. Will need to exercise complex skill and judgment of the principles and methods of Good Clinical Practices.
Clinical Study Visit
- Escorts patients from the waiting area to exam areas. Obtains vital signs. Performs diagnostic testing and specimen collection per provider order. Accurately labels, logs and processes specimens according to protocol and follows all laboratory policies at all times.
- Enters patient data, patient condition and patient care given into electronic record system
- During exam provides information, comfort and care to the patient by explaining steps, systems and their status. Assures that supplies and equipment are readily available to ensure smooth operations and patient safety. Give patient provider's pre-printed instructions for discharge.
- Certified on specific cognitive testing for each research study
- Able to score the testing as appropriate with the criteria for the research study
- Process labs for all clinical trials ensuring samples are processed and shipped when appropriatewithstrictadherencetotimeandclinicalrequirementsmandatedbyeachstudy
- Inventory all lab supplies and orders as needed, anticipating future needs of studies
- Operates and provide maintenance to all lab related equipment (centrifuges, freezers, ECG machines, computers, etc.)
- Maintains adequacy of clinical equipment and medical supply levels 'needed for patient care and related to patient safety which may require reordering, stocking and cleaning. Conducts inventory of supplies, rotates inventory, monitors expiration dates, requisitions needed supplies from internal and external vendors, reconciles orders with delivery, tracks utilization for cost trending purposes. Makes recommendations regarding opportunities to decrease cost in use of equipment and supplies. Interacts and problem solves with purchasing department when products are on back order.
- Implements standard infection prevention measures such as proper hand hygiene and contact/isolation precautions according to established protocols. Monitors infection prevention practices for breaches and suggest/initiates corrections.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned and may include scheduling subjects for appointments in different departments.
- Enter data into multiple electronic record systems
High school diploma or equivalent plus 3 years of experience in a patient care setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Associates degree preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology, procedures and computer experience is preferred. Experience with the geriatric population preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Ambulatory Technologist
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 202716
Full/Part Time: Full-Time