University of Rochester Administrative Asst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Public Health Sciences
8 AM-4:30 PM
With minimal direction and latitude for independent judgment, manages the general office and serves as the principal assistant to the Department Administrator of the Department of Public Health Sciences to support his/her administrative roles. Acts in Department Administrator’s place when unavailable. The individual in this position must deal with highly confidential information, must be able to work with limited supervision and exercise independent judgment. Must understand and communicate University and Departmental policies and procedures, analyze situations, and make judgments to facilitate desired outcomes. Provides office supervision and coordination of support services; manages the general office and related administrative services of a large academic department; manages specialized support functions.
General Administrative Support
- Coordinates maintenance of departmental accounts.With latitude for independent judgment, utilizes knowledge of the University accounting procedures to reconcile and analyze monthly departmental, discretionary and gift accounts; ensures accuracy of charges and works independently to resolve errors; maintains ledger files and extracts data, as requested, from URFinancials; tracks and summarizes faculty start up fund expenditures; provides reports on status of departmental, discretionary and gift accounts, as requested; on a monthly basis prepares preliminary summary analysis of departmental financial data for Department Administrator.
- Manages facilities/maintenance and telecommunications needs for the department including managing internal moves, renovations, building access lists key inventories and account changes.
Human Resources/Payroll Support
- Primary back up to Department Administrator on all HR matters, including staff hiring, processing of PAFs, staff and faculty wage and salary program.Coordinate all student employment requests for department.Create and maintain personnel files for all faculty, staff, student employees, residents and interns. Track record retention of all personnel files purging old files per University policy.
- Acts as primary department timekeeper, coordinating, processing and approving bi-weekly hourly, semi-monthly and monthly payroll for staff and faculty; reviews time sheets for errors and discrepancies and assures all required approval signatures have been acquired; adheres to departmental document handling procedures to assure the integrity of approved forms is not compromised; acts as liaison with Payroll office and Student Employment office; orients new workforce members to HRMS as well as departmental policies and procedures
- Communicate, develop and maintain tracking system for new and current staff to ensure that all HR compliance actions are up to date, including HIPAA, CITI Human Subject Protection Protocol, Intellectual Property Agreements, and other post hire requirements.Provide orientation to Department and University for all new hires.
- Conducts annual Community Benefits Inventory annual survey of faculty and staff, analyzes responses and reports any projects that provide a community benefit in the online Community Benefits Inventory database. Maintains data on foreign travel for all faculty, staff and students for annual reporting requirements
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of experience and training, preferably an administrative or accounting field; 3-5 years’ experience in administrative capacity
- 1 year of relevant administrative experience; 2-3 years accounting and financial analysis experience preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced skills in Excel
- Excellent organizational and office management skills required; meticulous attention to detail is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Administrative Asst
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 202544
Full/Part Time: Full-Time